No announcement yet.

DRI2 Sync + Swap Extensions Near Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually until a week or so ago it was lack of being able to make interrupts work on 6xx/7xx even with access to all the internal docs

Alex has interrupts running now and we're going through the usual IP review of the info that was required to make 'em work. We're talking about 6xx/7xx only here, of course -- interrupts have been working on earlier GPUs for a while.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Actually until a week or so ago it was lack of being able to make interrupts work on 6xx/7xx even with access to all the internal docs

Alex has interrupts running now and we're going through the usual IP review of the info that was required to make 'em work. We're talking about 6xx/7xx only here, of course -- interrupts have been working on earlier GPUs for a while.
      Good timing

Where in the dependency tree in the Feature Matrix does VSync belong?

Will it be hard to implement?

Comment

Will this break the kernel/userspace interface again?

The most infuriating "feature" of Fedora 11 is that its Xorg implementation became incompatible with -git almost immediately. (The -git xorg driver couldn't compile against Fedora's libdrm.) Will this new vsync work mean that the same will now happen for Fedora 12?

Comment

Fedora has been running months *ahead* of upstream for the last couple of releases. I think that should slow down after F12.
          Test signature

Comment

The problem is incompatibility.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Fedora has been running months *ahead* of upstream for the last couple of releases. I think that should slow down after F12.
            Being "ahead" of upstream doesn't matter, because the packages aren't compatible with each other. I've had this problem with xorg-drv-ati almost since Fedora 11 was released:

Code:
            In file included from radeon_textured_video.c:171:
            radeon_textured_videofuncs.c: In function ?RADEONDisplayTexturedVideoCP?:
            radeon_textured_videofuncs.c:119: error: too few arguments to function ?radeon_cs_space_check?
            radeon_textured_videofuncs.c: In function ?R200DisplayTexturedVideoCP?:
            radeon_textured_videofuncs.c:510: error: too few arguments to function ?radeon_cs_space_check?
            radeon_textured_videofuncs.c: In function ?R300DisplayTexturedVideoCP?:
            radeon_textured_videofuncs.c:1054: error: too few arguments to function ?radeon_cs_space_check?
            radeon_textured_videofuncs.c: In function ?R500DisplayTexturedVideoCP?:
            radeon_textured_videofuncs.c:2507: error: too few arguments to function ?radeon_cs_space_check?
            make[2]: *** [radeon_textured_video.lo] Error 1
            make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
            make: *** [all] Error 2
            And I'm desperate to be rid of it. But that's going to take a userspace compatible with libdrm > 2.4.11. As will using KMS with my 2.6.31.5 kernel.

Roll on, Fedora 12!

Comment

Yeah, that's the problem with being seriously ahead of upstream. If you're further ahead than just "waiting for the merge window" there's usually a reason the code isn't in the kernel yet. F10 and F11 had a lot of "proof of concept" code, which needed non-trivial changes before it went into the kernel. That said, every distro has a purpose, and Fedora's purpose at the time was proving out new technology.

I imagine early releases of F12 would treat you better than trying to update F11 with upstream bits.
              Test signature

Comment

Will this benefit also who uses NVidia proprietary drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Raine View Post
                  Will this benefit also who uses NVidia proprietary drivers?
                  Nvidia does not use dri or anything else in the Linux graphics stack besides the core protocol bits of xorg.

Comment

Working...
                  X