Raspberry Pi V3D Graphics Driver Preps For Super Pages To Boost Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi V3D Graphics Driver Preps For Super Pages To Boost Performance

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi V3D Graphics Driver Preps For Super Pages To Boost Performance

Igalia continues maintaining the Broadcom V3D open-source graphics driver code that is used by the Raspberry Pi single board computers. With a new patch series posted today for the V3D DRM driver, support for Super Pages is enabled to help with enhancing the graphics performance. In many benchmarks having Super Pages can enhance the performance by a few percent but in some extreme cases can be 19~42% faster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure if Intel or AMD enable super pages, but if they don't, makes me wonder if that might help their iGPU performance.

Comment

AMD GPUs supports variable sized pages and amdgpu/radeon drivers have been using them for a long time.

Not sure about Intel, but it would surprise me if they don't have any optimization in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Not sure if Intel or AMD enable super pages, but if they don't, makes me wonder if that might help their iGPU performance.
        These "super pages" are specific to the Raspberry Pi 4+ GPU (V3D). If Intel or AMD have an equivalent, I bet they use it in their drivers.
        Last edited by intelfx; 11 March 2024, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
          These "super pages" are specific to the Raspberry Pi 4+ GPU (V3D). If Intel or AMD have an equivalent, I bet they use it in their drivers.
          I understand it's specific to V3D, but what got me thinking that is the other recent article about Nvidia's driver's use of transparent huge pages. I know that's not the same thing, but it got me thinking how perhaps AMD and/or Intel could take a different approach in memory management.

I am not saying they need to; I don't know if they need to. But, perhaps it's something that could help in bandwidth-limited environments.

Comment

Any chance that we can get some benchmarks for this to compare it off and on?

Comment

Kloster Andechs is good beer.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
                Any chance that we can get some benchmarks for this to compare it off and on?
                I'd also be interested in benchmarks to compare.

Comment

Working...
                X