Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will The X.Org 7.5 Release Schedule Be Met?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
    Waiting for all the planets to align inevitably leads to Debian style releases - few, far between and invariably late. As much as I can bash Ubuntu for all the shit they break by shipping every six months no matter what state it's in, I've found it better than the alternative...
    again, i accept your point, but i care more about the validity of my original, to whit: "with opensuse's 9-10 month release cycle they would be daft to lumber themselves with a 2008 X.org release for a distribution whose life-cycle mainly covers the year 2010. especially for the sake of a few weeks."

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
      again, i accept your point, but i care more about the validity of my original, to whit: "with opensuse's 9-10 month release cycle they would be daft to lumber themselves with a 2008 X.org release for a distribution whose life-cycle mainly covers the year 2010. especially for the sake of a few weeks."
      The problem is you never really say what the newer xserver would do for the average end user that would make the world of difference to them. Building a roadmap for a distro to accommodate a project that has a long history of failed deadlines is piss poor project management. Besides, if people want to run the latest and greatest X.org release there is always the suse build server that contains the latest and greatest. Hell you can even add the repo upon installation and it will use those packages to do the install.

Comment

I see an awful lot of whining on Phoronix's front page about how X.Org is always "late". I've never seen one about how Ubuntu is always shipped with half-finished software to meet its artificial deadlines.

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here at least one article that bashes ubuntu.

For sure there are better and worse releases of ubuntu but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is always shipped with half-finished software

Comment

Well then, I stand corrected.

Comment

xserver is in good shape, I don't think there's much to be excited about 1.7. I think we should focus more on mesa and 3d drivers/opengl 2.1 support, especially gallium3d since kms and ttm seems to polished and it would be cool to leave classic mesa behind and harness the power that kms/ttm brings .

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                xserver is in good shape, I don't think there's much to be excited about 1.7.
                X Server 1.7 will have MPX, which isn't a minor feature.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                  X Server 1.7 will have MPX, which isn't a minor feature.
                  It's not a minor feature but it's not a feature that the average desktop user would use as well. Holding back a distro release for a feature that probably effects less then 1% of your user base wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X