No announcement yet.

XWayland 23.1 Released With High Resolution Scroll Wheel, DMA-BUF v4 Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny how long this is taking. I bought a bought a mouse that supports high resolution scrolling back when the feature was added into the kernel. From time to time there's news that the feature has been added into this or added into that, but here on Plasma 5.27 Wayland, I still haven't seen any sign of high resolution scrollwheel support in any app.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

Well. what's the reason why high resolution scrolling doesn't work on Wayland?
      It does.
      The post is about Xwayland, not Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

It does.
        Nope. I'm sitting here now rolling my high resolution scroll wheel and still no high resolution scrolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
          Nope. I'm sitting here now rolling my high resolution scroll wheel and still no high resolution scrolling.
          It's been supported for a while, see https://www.phoronix.com/news/Wayland-1.21-Released

If it doesn't work, figure out why then put in a bug report to either Wayland, your WM, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by joshx1 View Post

It's been supported for a while, see https://www.phoronix.com/news/Wayland-1.21-Released

If it doesn't work, figure out why then put in a bug report to either Wayland, your WM, etc?
            I presume that at this point it's mostly up to the individual apps. Oddly it was even mentioned in the Plasma 5.27 release, though I haven't noticed any KDE apps that are scrolling smoothly:
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there anyone on Plasma 5.27 Wayland that actually has real high resolution scrolling from a mouse scrollwheel? I think some people get high resolution scrolling confused with the faked "smooth scrolling" that web browsers offer. As a basic test, if you open a web page and turn the wheel extremely slow, you should see the page moving by pixels, not by lines at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post

Thats the linux thing use more things than needed, everyone want´s his own unique expierence, btw. where is compiz i want my damn 3d desktop compositor with transparenz effects fancy 3d cube hovering windows and stuff, where did that thing go ?

Oh wait that was 15 years ago .... yes i´m old i know T_T.
              MATE is still staying behind running Xorg, with Compiz available as compositor. Hopefully, when MATE finally migrate to Wayland, somebody will get it hooked up with Wayfire.

Comment

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post

Thats the linux thing use more things than needed, everyone want´s his own unique expierence, btw. where is compiz i want my damn 3d desktop compositor with transparenz effects fancy 3d cube hovering windows and stuff, where did that thing go ?

Oh wait that was 15 years ago .... yes i´m old i know T_T.
                There are KDE extensions for all of these, even wobbly windows. I use many of them and they work great

Comment

I know Ubuntu Feasty Fawn if i remember correctly had 'marketed' Compiz and its desktop effects. It attracted Windows folk who liked the effects. If Ubuntu would have made this stuff more accessible it might have attracted more people to the Linux desktop and shake off its 'nerdy' image. But somehow that did not happen...

Comment

Originally posted by Velocity View Post
                    I know Ubuntu Feasty Fawn if i remember correctly had 'marketed' Compiz and its desktop effects. It attracted Windows folk who liked the effects. If Ubuntu would have made this stuff more accessible it might have attracted more people to the Linux desktop and shake off its 'nerdy' image. But somehow that did not happen...
                    The fact that Wayland broke almost everything-- Compiz, remote access, screen sharing-- certainly didn't help.

And these days a Windows user moving to Ubuntu will get a nasty shock over how slow the installer is, how slow Firefox is, how hard it is to get discord + wine + steam up and running.... It truly feels like a regression over the 10.04 days.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                      When all old and new Linux applications have been rewritten to support Wayland, and it has complete XFCE support, I'll give it a try. Until then there are just too many horror stories of people trying to switch to Wayland/XWayland for it to be worth attempting a switch.
                      I found wayland port for most Xorg applications I use, any specific Linux applications you are using ? is there somewhere list with old Xorg applications which have no alternative in wayland ?

Comment

Working...
                      X