Microsoft Reworks The "DXGKRNL" Driver It Wants To Get Into The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

Android kernel is a fork. MS is free to fork it and make all their source available to if they so wish.
    So you don't understand what copyleft is. Noted.

Comment

Exactly, this has nothing to do with linux or the linux kernel, they will never mainline it.
      It has plenty to do with it if you want vgpu support using hyper-v, and yes, hyper-v specific stuff DOES get mainlined, and MR. Kroah has asked for the patch to be broken up into smaller patches before reviewing, so I would say this has a pretty good chance of getting mainlined assuming the code is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

It has plenty to do with it if you want vgpu support using hyper-v
        Who exactly using Linux do you think cares that windows doesn't have vgpu support using hyper-v?
        Linux already does - it's not the Linux communities responsibility to help MS catch us up.

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

So you don't understand what copyleft is. Noted.
        one of us doesn't - dont think its me

Comment

Who exactly using Linux do you think cares that windows doesn't have vgpu support using hyper-v?
          Linux already does - it's not the Linux communities responsibility to help MS catch us up.
          I hate to break it to you, but the goal of linux has always been to be one of the best operating systems, the devs have no intention to cripple it to gain the support of one fanatic on a linux forum.

Things the linux kernel has that ONLY helps hyper-v inclides two nice things, and im sure more, Hyper-v drmfb, Hyper-v network switch.

so instead of bitching about what will inevitably get mainlined, because this will get mainlined at some point. Mr. Kroah has already show willingness to review the commits, and he is no minor character. Why don't you petition kernel devs to remove support for drmfb, and hyper-v networking? I mean, if no one is using it, I'm sure they will remove it without a second thought.

Comment

I hate to break it to you, but the goal of linux has always been to be one of the best operating systems, the devs have no intention to cripple it to gain the support of one fanatic on a linux forum.
            Yeah, only 100 times the number of devices running it than windows and counting... Its not Linux devs doing the begging here
            Things the linux kernel has that ONLY helps hyper-v inclides two nice things, and im sure more, Hyper-v drmfb, Hyper-v network switch.

so instead of bitching about what will inevitably get mainlined, because this will get mainlined at some point. Mr. Kroah has already show willingness to review the commits, and he is no minor character. Why don't you petition kernel devs to remove support for drmfb, and hyper-v networking? I mean, if no one is using it, I'm sure they will remove it without a second thought.
            I'm not "bitching", I'm just pointing out that MS has less chance of getting the DXGKRNL kernel driver mainlined as Nvidia does their nvidia.ko driver.

i.e., less than zero.

You just desperately want to believe the Linux Kernel is LGPL 2.1 instead of the GPL2.0 it actually is, whilst never actually addressing the key issue.
            Last edited by mSparks; 14 January 2022, 09:09 PM.

Comment

You just desperately want to believe the Linux Kernel is LGPL 2.1 instead of the GPL2.0 it actually is.
              Ill just wait for the petition to get the other similar, stuff removed from the kernel. once it does, then sure. ill believe it, but as it stands, the honcho kernel devs, aren't criticing the patch, other than the fact that a lot of them are too monolithic

Comment

Ill just wait for the petition to get the other similar, stuff removed from the kernel. once it does, then sure. ill believe it, but as it stands, the honcho kernel devs, aren't criticing the patch, other than the fact that a lot of them are too monolithic
                LOL, you actually believe that's the way it works?
                OMFG that's funny.

Comment

LOL, you actually believe that's the way it works?
                  OMFG that's funny.
                  the entire point, is that it isn't how it works, the kernel dev's don't care about you or I, they care about the linux itself, and this will make it better on hyper-v servers

Comment

the entire point, is that it isn't how it works, the kernel dev's don't care about you or I, they care about the linux itself, and this will make it better on hyper-v servers
                    The points are

1. DXGKRNL requires DirectX
                    2. DirectX is not GPLv2 compliant, requiring it makes DXGKRNL non GPLv2 compliant
                    3. non GPLv2 compliant patches are not suitable for mainlining in the kernel

Which point(s) do you disagree with?
                    Last edited by mSparks; 14 January 2022, 09:29 PM.

Comment

The points are

1. DXGKRNL requires DirectX
                      2. DirectX is not GPLv2 compliant, requiring it makes DXGKRNL non GPLv2 compliant
                      3. non GPLv2 compliant patches are not suitable for mainlining in the kernel

Which point do you disagree with?
                      Thats not how GPL 2.1 works, read the license. GPL only cares about derivative works, not if something "requires" something else. DirectX is not considered a derivative work if DXGKRNL is included in the Kernel, so your point is completely invalid and incorrect.

As stated previously, Hyper-V (which is a microsoft virtualization product) whos implementation in Windows is proprietary also contains a translation layer in the kernel. Thats because the implementation of Hyper-V in Windows is not a derivative work of the Linux kernel.

The main reason/s why the original path was refused had nothing to do with the DirectX part of it but rather it was implemented using closed source CUDA instead of the open source graphics stack in the Linux kernel which Microsoft rectified with this recent patch.

Comment

Working...
                      X