Microsoft Reworks The "DXGKRNL" Driver It Wants To Get Into The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

People who want to use linux, but maybe don't have the know-how, or simply don't want to install linux on their own hardware outside of a VM. If someone, lets say a student, is taking two different classes, one where they have to have access to machine learning tools that are only available on linux, but also needs to have Solidworks for a design class, this would be perfect.

So I can see its use cases. In addition, having this in mainline would help encourage participation from the rest of the FOSS community. I see nothing but good coming out of this.
    You mean embrace, then extinguish?

I know developers who would have been Linux users already, but stay on windows because WSL "is enough" for them

They don't embrace a FOSS mentality, and they don't embrace a FOSS lifestyle.

Only fools will believe that Microsoft has any intention of helping the FOSS community, this is all for money for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Doomsdayrs View Post

You mean embrace, then extinguish?

I know developers who would have been Linux users already, but stay on windows because WSL "is enough" for them
      Shows how insecure and glasshearted Linux users when they get triggered by seeing a developer use WSL.

Hell, these developers are a heck lot more intelligent and wiser than the average Linux crybaby. They know what works for them with the most convenience. Better quality and better performing drivers with one-click access to most OS-level and development environment-level features compared to typing arcane commands. Even in Visual Studio, a simple vcvarsall file provided by Microsoft makes SDK versioning a breeze while nothing remotely equivalent to it exists for Linux.

Originally posted by Doomsdayrs
      They don't embrace a FOSS mentality, and they don't embrace a FOSS lifestyle.

Only fools will believe that Microsoft has any intention of helping the FOSS community, this is all for money for them.

Go on then, don't work for money. Tell your employer not to work for money. Allow your employer to pay your salary with FOSS goodwill instead of money. Tell the software development house down the street that as a business they don't need to earn money.
      Last edited by Sonadow; 13 January 2022, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

And this is completely false.
        Typical cope-and-seethe response from people who have never used Hyper-V seriously and thinks that they know all about it.

KVM doesn't even come with v-switch capabilities. And distributions can try all they want; they will never ever come close to replicating the ease of use and convenience of Hyper-V. Especially when Hyper-V in Windows 10 and Windows 11 can create a virtualized instance of the bare-metal Windows session on the fly and launch it as a sandboxed environment with automatic interface bridging, and then permanently destroy the instance on exit, leaving no traces behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Shows how insecure and glasshearted Linux users when they get triggered by seeing a developer use WSL.

Hell, these developers are a heck lot more intelligent and wiser than the average Linux crybaby. They know what works for them with the most convenience. Better quality and better performing drivers with one-click access to most OS-level and development environment-level features compared to typing arcane commands. Even in Visual Studio, a simple vcvarsall file provided by Microsoft makes SDK versioning a breeze while nothing remotely equivalent to it exists for Linux.

Go on then, don't work for money. Tell your employer not to work for money. Allow your employer to pay your salary with FOSS goodwill instead of money. Tell the software development house down the street that as a business they don't need to earn money.
          Triggered whenever someone slights capitalist exploitation of FOSS.

Comment

Triggered whenever someone slights capitalist exploitation of FOSS.
            Linus doesn't care about the F in FOSS. Go rant at him.

There is no rule in FOSS and in the kernel specifying that patches and contributions must benefit Linux.
            Last edited by Sonadow; 13 January 2022, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Linus doesn't care about the F in FOSS. Go rant at him.

There is no rule in FOSS and in the kernel specifying that patches and contributions must benefit Linux.
              Why are you bringing up a maintainer lol.

Rules? Lmao.

(s) Yes time for me to open up the massive rulebook that every single FOSS individual memorized. (/s)

It is common sense my elderly chap, I know its a bit difficult to wrap your head around. But individuals and groups, typically attempt to keep themselves going and or improve themselves.

Even if their attempts are disastrous, they had the intent, just were going with the wrong way.

Microsoft, any any attempts of it to capitalize on Linux. Might seem like "oh we are getting promotion, ease of access for windows users, etc"; is just the embrace stage.

After that is extinguish. You'll have to deal with bug reports, WSL specific issues, the so on.

In words for you to understand. It is not net profitable for Linux and its community to accept Microsoft WSL. It is a gross profit, but apply all the deductions and it is a net loss.

Comment

Why are you bringing up a maintainer lol.
                Because Linus has the final say on what gets merged. Not you.

Originally posted by Doomsdayrs
                Rules? Lmao.

(s) Yes time for me to open up the massive rulebook that every single FOSS individual memorized. (/s)

It is common sense my elderly chap, I know its a bit difficult to wrap your head around. But individuals and groups, typically attempt to keep themselves going and or improve themselves.

Even if their attempts are disastrous, they had the intent, just were going with the wrong way.

Microsoft, any any attempts of it to capitalize on Linux. Might seem like "oh we are getting promotion, ease of access for windows users, etc"; is just the embrace stage.

After that is extinguish. You'll have to deal with bug reports, WSL specific issues, the so on.

In words for you to understand. It is not net profitable for Linux and its community to accept Microsoft WSL. It is a gross profit, but apply all the deductions and it is a net loss.
                And who died and decided that a non-maintainer and a non-developer should dictate to the the maintainers what to accept in the kernel?

If I want to exploit Linux and earn money from it in the process, no one can stop me.

Comment

Because Linus has the final say on what gets merged. Not you.

And who died and decided that a non-maintainer and a non-developer should dictate to the the maintainers what to accept in the kernel?

If I want to exploit Linux and earn money from it in the process, no one can stop me.
                  Ze wolf reveals themselves.

Comment

Typical Linux copium and whining with the "Oh boo hoo we are not capable enough to make something as good as DirectX by ourselves so Microsoft is bad and they must give away the API they spent billions to create and maintain for free because I say so"
                    Sir, that gelatinous mass you lost this morning on the bathroom floor... please take it with you, I believe it to be your brain.

Comment

In the words of the late admiral Ackbar: IT'S A TRAP! (everything MS is a trap one way or another really, worst moral fibre of the entire IT industry)

Comment

Working...
                      X