No announcement yet.

X.Org Modesetting Driver Will Now Better Handle Multi-Montior Mixed-VRR Setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Modesetting Driver Will Now Better Handle Multi-Montior Mixed-VRR Setups

Phoronix: X.Org Modesetting Driver Will Now Better Handle Multi-Montior Mixed-VRR Setups

The xf86-video-modesetting DDX driver that is commonly in use for systems running an X.Org Server will soon find better support if you have a multi-monitor configuration where only some displays can support variable rate refresh (VRR / Adaptive-Sync / FreeSync)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We don't say 'irregardless'.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      That's funny. I looked that up a while ago. 'Irregardless' does in fact come off as extra. I've used it before but likely won't ever again. 'Regardless' gets the same point across.

Comment

in before someone says "but, but.. xorg is dead"

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Nor "Multi-Montior"

Comment

Old and crusty.

Comment

Still using XOrg because it has display gamma (brightness and contrast) controls which I rely on. (they don't exist under wayland except for some wlroots hack)

Ironically native linux games often rely on these functions, but since wayland has none; those sliders don't work in-games under wayland. Meanwhile I'm told to shut up and just fiddle with my shit monitors OSD controls for each games specific gamma needs.....

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Still using XOrg because it has display gamma (brightness and contrast) controls which I rely on. (they don't exist under wayland except for some wlroots hack)

Ironically native linux games often rely on these functions, but since wayland has none; those sliders don't work in-games under wayland. Meanwhile I'm told to shut up and just fiddle with my shit monitors OSD controls for each games specific gamma needs.....
                To be fair, a game that messes with your global gamma ramp is way overstepping it's bounds. What if the game crashes without setting it back? What if you minimize the game or switch to a different workspace?

In-game gamma sliders should affect (and be able to affect) only the game engine's tonemapping.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  I'm using one of those hacks (that I think they call an extension) just fine, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I'm using one of those hacks (that I think they call an extension) just fine, thanks.
                    Yeah; its just that it doesn't work with GNOME or PLASMA (preferred) since they use their own compositor. The wlroots method works with a few tiled compositors which I don't really do. Hopefully it becomes just official sometime.

Also the argument that games shouldn't touch the desktop environment is true but in reality doesn't work out as many developers just do anyway, even under windows many games can touch the desktop gamma adjustments which is annoying if a crash happens. Its just one of those necessary evils IMO, its still not that hard to go into gamma settings (or terminal) and adjust back.

There was one game Warthunder that did this a while back (now gamma doesn't even work in-game, lol) so what I did was set a wait command on the exe so when exited it applied the original gamma setting with xgamma. Developers just seem to have a hard time with gamma settings under linux, fortunately most games run via wine/proton seem to be ok.

Comment

Working...
                    X