X.Org DMX Dropped After More Than A Decade Of Crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
    Yes it's separate in that XWayland doesn't need Xorg installed to run, but XWayland is still part of the XServer git and pulls in headers from it's parent directories. But you're right, most things being removed from Xorg shouldn't effect XWayland.
    This is a bit of a weired situation.
    Xwayland pulls from a subset of Xorg development branches.
    Xwayland also issues releases (Xorg releases have essentially stopped and everyone just patches their version).
    To me Xwayland is a separate X server (even if it lives in the same repo) but this is certainly just one way of looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
      This is a bit of a weired situation.
      Xwayland pulls from a subset of Xorg development branches.
      Xwayland also issues releases (Xorg releases have essentially stopped and everyone just patches their version).
      To me Xwayland is a separate X server (even if it lives in the same repo) but this is certainly just one way of looking at it.
      I agree with you. It definitely is a separate X server. I was just pointing out that there is some small but direct link between the two codebases. Outside of importing those headers, it looks like everything else in the XWayland directory is it's own version of stuff that's in it's parent directory, but I can't say that I looked too thoroughly.

Comment

Heh, this turned into a wayland discussion right away. Do the wayland protagonists know that the plan to remove DMX, which is what this article was about, is just as old as wayland itself?

In the meantime, i still enjoy sshing into my build machine, and starting X applications... A redhat friend of mine, one who actually dogfoods, complained just a few weeks ago that ssh + wayland + something either gnome or gtk based equals a local application...

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
          Heh, this turned into a wayland discussion right away. Do the wayland protagonists know that the plan to remove DMX, which is what this article was about, is just as old as wayland itself?
          I don't think there are 'wayland protagonists' except for the Xorg developers.
          Everyone else is just making the new thing work and quite a few see more upsides than downsides.

Originally posted by libv View Post
          In the meantime, i still enjoy sshing into my build machine, and starting X applications... A redhat friend of mine, one who actually dogfoods, complained just a few weeks ago that ssh + wayland + something either gnome or gtk based equals a local application...
          Are you looking for this:
          waypipe ssh user@exserv weston-flower

Comment

Working...
          X