X.Org Server Development Hits A Nearly Two Decade Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz
    ssokolow Refusing C++ is also valid. Especially if you end up pulling some CLA stuff anyway. It just another rabbit hole too deep.

KDE just have to accept their choices are deal breakers in many places.

CLA? Sorry, you’re out. C++ where not appropriate? Sorry, you’re out. Toxic people? Sorry, you’re out.
    Wow, you really are literally the dumbest troll around..... While you're drowning, here, please enjoy this glass of water....

Comment

ssokolow Refusing C++ is also valid.
      You've done a really fantastic job of proving ssokolow's point.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
        Question is who has the major responsibility for this sad cringe.
        > You. <

Comment

Toxic people? Sorry, you’re out.
          Feel free to follow your own advice.

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          KDE keeps insisting on bringing “friends” like C++ and Qt.
          Do you know anything about software development, or you simply throw around terms you've read on the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

Or not...
            Um, literally every linux gamer on every thread on the subject will tell you that Wayland is garbage for gaming right now and that X11 is pretty much the only option. And from everything else I've seen, it actually does seem like Wayland is pretty much only used by devs/engineers. But good rebuttal to dude's comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

I've been using Wayland on all of my physical Linux systems since about 2016. It's been solid.

As far as I can tell everyone who doesn't use Wayland is using Nvidia or has some strange edge case I would have never imagined needing.
              Like playing video games? Modern game performance on Wayland is garbage and/or a nightmare to even get working with Wayland half the time. And hardly anyone that plays a lot of games uses Wayland. Yeah, super edge case.

Comment

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post

Like playing video games? Modern game performance on Wayland is garbage and/or a nightmare to even get working with Wayland half the time. And hardly anyone that plays a lot of games uses Wayland. Yeah, super edge case.
                I play Doom 2016, Stellaris, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny and ooh, Peggle using a Ubuntu Gnome Wayland session. Those are all Steam games and work out of the box. I haven't noticed anything wrong with them.

Ryzen 3900X and a Vega 56 to a 4K LG television.

Comment

I play Doom 2016, Stellaris, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny and ooh, Peggle using a Ubuntu Gnome Wayland session. Those are all Steam games and work out of the box. I haven't noticed anything wrong with them.

Ryzen 3900X and a Vega 56 to a 4K LG television.
                  He was referring to input lag, even if he didn't realize it, there is nothing that can be done about it. I mean really just put some heavy CPU load on and simply move the mouse, wayland has no way to synchronize output on input, the protocol simply doesn't do it. And it's especially a huge problem when gaming, lag can be like half a second, it's crazy. Wayland was -not- designed for desktop usage especially for gaming or really any low latency usage.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

He was referring to input lag, even if he didn't realize it, there is nothing that can be done about it. I mean really just put some heavy CPU load on and simply move the mouse, wayland has no way to synchronize output on input, the protocol simply doesn't do it. And it's especially a huge problem when gaming, lag can be like half a second, it's crazy. Wayland was -not- designed for desktop usage especially for gaming or really any low latency usage.
                    I use my 3900X for Android Studio NDK projects and Rust builds all the time. That is what I built it for. I have literally never seen a half second mouse lag.

Now, I have never tried to do 24 thread compiles while playing Doom 2016 at the same time, because that would be ridiculous.

Comment

I use my 3900X for Android Studio NDK projects and Rust builds all the time. That is what I built it for. I have literally never seen a half second mouse lag.

Now, I have never tried to do 24 thread compiles while playing Doom 2016 at the same time, because that would be ridiculous.
                      Ok, but games themselves are getting more parallel, and up until recently most laptops had relatively weak GPU's and only two cores. Add to that that most games are designed with the philosophy of "if it's there, consume it", most games are designed to ping the CPU at 100% and they can do that on up to 4 cores and can almost do it on 8 cores. Which is exactly the scenario wayland compositors experience input lag and which is exactly the worst case scenario for games. You can see how on the vast majority of all computers games -do- lag terribly on wayland compositors.

So you have a 24 core processor, your computer may not experience that much lag, but most computers will. Just because you have a high end desktop and don't have any experience with lower end hardware doesn't mean that everyone else fits in your same boat.
                      Last edited by duby229; 09 January 2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X