Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Saw A Lot Of Work In The 2010s Even With Wayland Taking Off

Phoronix: X.Org Saw A Lot Of Work In The 2010s Even With Wayland Taking Off

Here's a look back at the most popular news over the past decade on X.Org out of our one thousand plus articles on the topic during the 2010s. Even with Wayland taking off in recent years and effectively reaching parity to the X.Org Server for common use-cases, the X.Org Server has continued seeing new development especially in the areas of GLAMOR and XWayland. Sadly though we're ending the 2010s without a major stable release of the xorg-server since May 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait, did Wayland even take off?

Comment

Originally posted by kbumsik View Post
      It's popular with many people that will gladly give up features for a more secure desktop.
      Meanwhile, my unbelievably insecure X desktop still awaits to be hacked.

The above is just tongue in cheek, since I'm using Nvidia, I haven't tested Wayland first hand.

Comment

Originally posted by kbumsik View Post
        Ya, I missed that one. Sounds more like deluded Linux users out of touch with reality.

Comment

Wayland DID take off for almost everyone that wasnt using Ubuntu or Nvidia. That is a big caveat yes but the technology is production ready and quite usable. I run it on everything except my gaming computer (thanks to Nvidia) and have a better time than i did with X based anything on those same machines.

Comment

Has game input lag been addressed with Wayland?

Comment

Yay, Go Wayland.
              Nvidia, get into the game.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
                Wayland DID take off for almost everyone that wasnt using Ubuntu or Nvidia..
                and almost everyone is using Ubuntu or Nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  The above is just tongue in cheek, since I'm using Nvidia, I haven't tested Wayland first hand.
                  It is possible to run wayland with more recent nvidia proprietary drivers (or you could move to nouveau (required for older hardware) in some cases), but one does need to be running the latest.latest version of various apps, subsystems and libraries and often do some tweaking of configurations. Arch and Fedora are known examples of being able to use wayland with nvidia proprietary drivers with some tweaking at least when using gnome or kde as your display manager (they both have documentation as to how to set things up). In the longer term perhaps everyone will converge on some future implementation (nvidia had proposed their liballocator, but maybe the future is vulkan), but while that might be a goal, it is not necessary today for most. Application support for wayland (and not using the xwayland compatibility layer) is still mixed, of course.

Comment

I'm still waiting for middle-click paste selection support on Wayland...

Comment

Working...
                    X