Arcan Display Server Is Nearing Feature Parity With The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcan Display Server Is Nearing Feature Parity With The X.Org Server

Phoronix: Arcan Display Server Is Nearing Feature Parity With The X.Org Server

The Arcan display server, which started off years ago sounding like a novelty with being a display server built off a game engine in part and other interesting features, is nearing feature parity with the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now this is interesting...

Comment

a thing no one will ever use

Comment

Why does this project not get the same bashing as Mir did when it wasn't a Wayland compo-

Originally posted by edoantonioco
        a thing no one will ever use
        never mind...

​​​​​​​(I ask because Arcan has its own protocol like Mir did in the past)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Why does this project not get the same bashing as Mir did when it wasn't a Wayland compo-

never mind...

I was never one of the ones bashing Mir, but to be clear Canonical botched the launch of the Mir project in three important ways completely unrelated to Mir's actual technical design and features:

1. The initial blog post launching Mir offered several criticisms of Wayland that were incorrect.
          2. Many Ubuntu community developers not employed by Canonical had invested serious work towards Wayland support in Ubuntu, and then Canonical announced that they were producing Mir instead and had stopped all internal development on Wayland many months before. Those community members felt betrayed because they had put many person-months of effort into a project and nobody told them they were working on something that was being abandoned.
          3. Canonical required copyright assignment to Canonical for contributions to Mir, which opened the possibility that Canonical could change the license of the project later to something proprietary.

The Arcan developers have not, as far as I know, done anything like those things. No false claims about competing technologies, no hidden projects that waste contributors' time, no copyright assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            The Arcan developers have not, as far as I know, done anything like those things. No false claims about competing technologies, no hidden projects that waste contributors' time, no copyright assignment.
            On top of that, this is a free world. They're doing this as a hobby. Ubuntu, OTOH, is a major distro, and Canonical can use their status to force huge number of users to use their technology of choice, then lock it up like successful vendors usually do.

Comment

I have to say, this is actually a very interesting project. Not really sure if Wayland is going to rock the world anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

never mind...

Because this is a one-man team doing it as a hobby project.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

On top of that, this is a free world. They're doing this as a hobby. Ubuntu, OTOH, is a major distro, and Canonical can use their status to force huge number of users to use their technology of choice, then lock it up like successful vendors usually do.
                  I disagree with that argument. Canonical will influence Linux distribution technology trends with their choices, but they can't force anything. When they make technical or political choices people dislike, people switch. I suspect Mint, Arch, Elementary, Solus, etc... wouldn't be as popular as they are today if Canonical had made different choices with respect to Unity, Mir, and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I disagree with that argument. Canonical will influence Linux distribution technology trends with their choices, but they can't force anything. When they make technical or political choices people dislike, people switch. I suspect Mint, Arch, Elementary, Solus, etc... wouldn't be as popular as they are today if Canonical had made different choices with respect to Unity, Mir, and so forth.
                    How about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contri...ense_Agreement

Comment

Working...
                    X