Arcan Display Server Is Nearing Feature Parity With The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    I raised that point myself, that was my third reason people were unhappy with Mir. But there still isn't force involved. Contributors to Mir that didn't want to sign could stop contributing or fork the project. Users could go elsewhere.

And I'm not sure I think the free software community rage against CLAs makes sense, logically. Mir is GPLv3. A CLA allows Canonical to make proprietary versions. Arcan is BSD 3-clause. It doesn't need a CLA, *anybody* can make a proprietary version. Obviously Arcan isn't as popular as Mir. But setting that aside, how is GPLv3 + CLA worse than BSD 3-clause? Either way it opens the door for proprietary forks of the code.

Or are you one of the all-copyleft-all-the-time types? That's my own personal preference, but I don't see it expressed that often here and I don't advance that argument militantly because it does more harm than good.

Comment

Good to see more alternatives to Crapland.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        a thing no one will ever use
        I'd use it if my distro (Solus) would package it 'cause compiling a display server (and yes, I've tried to build Arcan earlier this year) is a PITA. I don't hate Wayland, it's much better than X.Org, that's for sure, but I love the aspects and goals of Arcan much more and I wish it would garner more momentum instead of the "Wayland-only" attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Good to see more alternatives to Crapland.
          Is that the name of your project? Got a link? I know some idiots who you might be able to use as senior devs.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Because this is a one-man team doing it as a hobby project.
            The timeline is much different. Arcan client API was evolved as a way of sandboxing FFmpeg back in ~2008. In the initial presentation, I said quite clearly that the view for client compatibility was to use Wayland for that and every page referenced that as the idea. We deemed it "good enough" for GTK client support (90% a one man project, others want to be anonymous or are fringe contributors). The depressing part is that it is only good for GTK support.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'd use it if my distro (Solus) would package it 'cause compiling a display server (and yes, I've tried to build Arcan earlier this year) is a PITA. I don't hate Wayland, it's much better than X.Org, that's for sure, but I love the aspects and goals of Arcan much more and I wish it would garner more momentum instead of the "Wayland-only" attitude.
              It took some effort to get it packaged in void-linux (xbps-install durden ; durden) and anything systemd will be worse just because how the lower layers work here, they really try to force d-bus and friends as a surreptitious dependency. It's likely that the next step in this will be more towards 'live images' in the coming 'user friendly focus' iterations then we'll see after that. Thanks for the support :-)

Comment

Working...
              X