Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dh04000
    replied
    I hope the Ubuntu-fied Gnome 3 stays with Gnome3 until Gnome4 is past beta. Gnome takes the release early and often, too seriously for a desktop environment.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Redhat has a new roadmap for what Redhat wants to do with Gnome?

Suddenly, KDE is looking better and better and better

Leave a comment:

• pgoetz
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post

What I do not understand is why people even use Caffeine extension?
    What hrkristian said. I occasionally watch movies/longer videos on my arch linux PC running Mate, and was pulling my hair out trying to figure out a way to keep the screen from blanking every 15 minutes or so (none of the sleep mode settings seemed to have any effect). Caffeine solved this problem nicely.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'll just stick to gnome3 for now then. Right now on my system everything from mutter down to gtk3 is built with wayland disabled and it runs like a dream.

Leave a comment:

• Masush5
    replied
    Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

Uhm... Caffeine stops your screen from blanking in the first place, that's the point. I have a 5 minute time-out, and sometimes I want to set it to "never" without having to go into settings; enter Caffeine, one click on the status bar and I have achieved just that.
    For the same usecase i use a simple script bound to a hotkey:
    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Leave a comment:

• eddie
    replied
    I'll add that, if they still decide to continue with the approach of building out Shell and its extensions via a JavaScript engine, I'd hope that they at least switch to Kotlin/JS or TypeScript to define the APIs. As it stands I actually have never been able to find proper API documentation at all. Of course, an even better solution would be to pick a language-agnostic IDL, but that might be hoping for too much.

Leave a comment:

• hrkristian
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post

What I do not understand is why people even use Caffeine extension? I saw few posts of people claiming that sleep mode doesn't work well, and that might be the case, but rather than using some extensions for that problem, it would be much better to fill proper bug report and improve shell.

Obviously, I never had that problem, auto-suspend and blank screen (sleep mode for screen) is working properly for me, and that is part of power management in GNOME 3, so having extension for it is kinda pointless (fixing bugs, if any is the right thing to do).
    Uhm... Caffeine stops your screen from blanking in the first place, that's the point. I have a 5 minute time-out, and sometimes I want to set it to "never" without having to go into settings; enter Caffeine, one click on the status bar and I have achieved just that.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    i like this idea, getting rid of x-11 crap an just using Wayland/Xwayand . if Extensions have to be ReWritten to fit into the new Shell, im all for it. , the question is, would it make Maintenance on Extensions easier less painfull ?

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
    Which isn't to say extensions should be trashed, but as you say the popular extensions have earned a permanent place as native code. Why am I adding/updating something as simple yet essential as Caffeine through extensions.gnome.org while the Power section of Tweak Tool contain one frickin' entry?
    What I do not understand is why people even use Caffeine extension? I saw few posts of people claiming that sleep mode doesn't work well, and that might be the case, but rather than using some extensions for that problem, it would be much better to fill proper bug report and improve shell.

Obviously, I never had that problem, auto-suspend and blank screen (sleep mode for screen) is working properly for me, and that is part of power management in GNOME 3, so having extension for it is kinda pointless (fixing bugs, if any is the right thing to do).

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    GNOME breaking all extensions isn't exactly news, nor a major issue imho.

That said, I'd take "complete rewrite with Wayland in mind, fuck extensions" over "half-assed thing but we don't break extensions too much" any day.

If GNOME (backed by RH) isn't boldly spearheading into the unknown, who does?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X