Mir Will Support NVIDIA's EGL Streams Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

You don't even need to do that at all, and I am very certain I know what I am talking about because I have been doing it since the Win8 days. You just select the giant unpartitioned block and click on 'Next'. Windows automatically creates 4 partitions with the correct filesystem format in the background and immediately starts installing the OS without the need for any further user input. Those 4 partitions are:
    1. an MSR reserved partition
    2. a 100MB EFI system partition
    3. the main partition for installing Windows
    4. a 4th partition which I always seem to forget what it is for.
    I know you mean well and thanks for sharing the information, but you've made a few assumptions that can't be dismissed. I'll try to explain the setting I found myself in with my new windows 10 laptop...

Import tax on complete systems kills me in my country, it's better to upgrade systematically. I bought a low spec new laptop kaby lake i5 laptop which had 4GB ram and 512GB mechanical HDD. I upgrade the ram, the initial 4GB was embedded (lame). A few days later my SSD arrived, I was already using the laptop and wanted to keep my data, so created the new partitions and cloned the windows data partition according to the windows manual. I was in a rush, so I skipped the part where I normally format partitions after creating and setting correct types. Which is exactly where my unavoidable windows 10 installation problem hit me. I could not continue my install because windows installation CANNOT format the EFI partition to FAT32, further more I did not even receive an useful error message when it crapped out when it was analyzing my existing partitions in an futile attempt to continue the installation. I repeat myself again, as soon as you don't do something the average window user does you hit solid painful brick walls. Even if it is something as simple as formatting a partition into FAT32. If I did not have a spare flash drive with Linux on it I would have been *****ed.

PS: it seems you've switched EFI and MSR partitions and the 4th partition is for recovery, yes windows knows it's going to fail so it likes to hack everything back together instead of fixing the actual problems.
    PPS: here's my original drive partition layout, what a mess...
    Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 534527 532480 260M EFI System
    /dev/sda2 534528 567295 32768 16M Microsoft reserved
    /dev/sda3 567296 896126975 895559680 427G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sda4 896126976 948555775 52428800 25G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sda5 948555776 950603775 2048000 1000M Windows recovery environment
    /dev/sda6 950603776 974725119 24121344 11.5G Windows recovery environment
    /dev/sda7 974725120 976773119 2048000 1000M Lenovo boot partition

This is not like Linux where we have to first create the / partition, then a /swap partition, then a /boot, then a /boot/efi, then finally /home (if you use a separate /home partition) manually.
    Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

I only have 2 partitions on a few of my Linux machines.
    1) the obligatory EFI partition
    2) btrfs, because I'm hip

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      This is not like Linux where we have to first create the / partition, then a /swap partition, then a /boot, then a /boot/efi, then finally /home (if you use a separate /home partition) manually.
      I don't need to do any of that manually, and I haven't since well before Windows 7 came out (not to mention Windows 10). openSUSE, and many other distros, provide a sane set of default partitions, you just click "okay". And they deal properly with having other operating systems on the computer, automatically detecting free space and resizing existing partitions accordingly, something Windows doesn't do.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric-Gecko View Post
        I thought Gnome was able to get it working right-away.
        EGLStreams support wasn't developed by Gnome (at least not in a sense you'd expect from a community project), it was developed by Red Hat as a patch for Gnome 3.22 in Fedora 25 (probably because Red Hat's enterprise customers requested it as a feature in upcoming RHEL8) and only later was adopted by upstream Gnome for inclusion in 3.24. In addition to that it wasn't "working right away". The version included in F25 is very incomplete and therefore isn't default. Not sure if the 3.24 version is complete and stable.

Originally posted by Electric-Gecko View Post
        Do they just have more manpower?
        Not sure. I didn't compare the team sizes. At the very least both teams have different priorities. Gnome's Wayland work is driven by Red Hat who want it for enterprise desktop customers. In KDE the Wayland work is more of a by-product of the Plasma Mobile work sponsored by Blue Systems. Were EGLStreams an important aspect of mobile work, I'm sure Blue Systems would have somebody work on it, so it's NVidia's (or dedicated GeForce owners’) turn tor step up and contribute + further maintain the code.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          once installed, Windows will (mostly) "just work". Whereas Linux...
          LOL. Bullshit.

Comment

Working...
          X