Mir Will Support NVIDIA's EGL Streams Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

If you are lucky. My wife's laptop needed a ton of tinkering to work around numerous bugs under Windows 10. If I were to install it under my laptop it would need an enormous amount of tinkering to boot at all, yet Linux (openSUSE) installs and runs fine with no tinkering.
    I got a Skylake notebook, an ancient AMD Lion notebook, an old desktop built around a Phenom II and an onboard Radeon HD3000 and a Haswell notebook running perfectly on clean installs of Windows 10. Only hardware that needed drivers was a Broadcom wifi card (which I prepared in a thumbdrive) and sideloaded into Windows 10 during the installation process. I really fail to see what kind of special luck was needed.

More importantly, my USB wifi stick using the rtl8188cus chipset works perfectly in Windows out of the box. In Linux the device always dies after about an hour and needs to have the rtl8192cu module unloaded and reloaded to get it working for a short while before dying out again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I got a Skylake notebook, an ancient AMD Lion notebook, an old desktop built around a Phenom II and an onboard Radeon HD3000 and a Haswell notebook running perfectly on clean installs of Windows 10. Only hardware that needed drivers was a Broadcom wifi card (which I prepared in a thumbdrive) and sideloaded into Windows 10 during the installation process. I really fail to see what kind of special luck was needed.
      That sounds like the same situation on Linux. On my Samsung laptop Linux works out of the box except for the Broadcom wifi. But on Linux at least the Broadcom wifi does work out of the box, just not as good as it would if you install the binary driver. So the situation seems to be even better on Linux than on Windows 10 if we go by your explanation.

You should not take random hardware pieces as a measurement for how good an OS works out of the box. If we go by your logic then MacOS is a very crappy OS because it only works out of the box if you are lucky enough to be installing it on a Mac hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Truth be told, the community also sometimes does more harm than good by insisting on steering users to an "UNIX" mentality that simply has no place on a general purpose desktop. If you struggle to set up your printer, on Windows you will be told to download this, click on that, you are done. On Linux, it can be and effectively is every bit as easy, but more often than not the beginner will find instead instructions telling him to compile and configure CUPS....
        Yeah, that's definitely true - though a lot of the time, it also reflects the fact that it's very hard to get rid of obsolete information from the internet. So even when a good easy-to-use GUI tool does exist, searching for "how do I get XYZ to work" will turn up one or two relevant hits, buried among all the mailing list archives and blog posts that long predate the existence of a better way of doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          that is bs. have you ever used windows 10? To be honest it is what linux should have been.
          Full of ads and non-removable bullshit like Groove Music?
          Yes, Win10 is the best version of Windows so far but it also took me roughly six months until I found I graphics driver for my Radeon that didn't crash all the time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, that's the fault of AMD but under Linux I get a bundled driver that just works.

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          Also this might be goodbye kde..
          People reading Phoronix should by now know better than buying NVidia hardware. Whoever does so anyway deserves absolutely no pity.

Comment

KDE has no problem supporting EGL Streams if the manpower was available (KWin supports multiple back-ends). NVidia or any other interested party can just step up.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              KDE has no problem supporting EGL Streams if the manpower was available (KWin supports multiple back-ends). NVidia or any other interested party can just step up.
              What? Really?
              I thought Gnome was able to get it working right-away. Do they just have more manpower?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I like to tinker and I'm pretty sure I can configure a Linux box in a way that my wife that doesn't know much about computers could use without a problem. But a noob getting on the Linux train by themselves? No way.
                OpenSUSE.

Also, Windows is preinstalled so the OEM checked that the config was working fine with Windows beforehand, which isn't usually the case for people installing Linux somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  I think that's the crux of the problem. After more than a quarter of a century a Linux box still needs to be "configured". A Windows or OSX box Just Works.
                  You are confusing "comes preinstalled" with "just works".

Give a laptop with FreeDOS to someone and see how Windows or OSX "just work" on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Oh, wow, a three-year-old laptop still needed sideloaded drivers? That is terrible. I never needed to sideload any drivers on my 5-year-old laptop under Linux, not when it was first release and not now. According to reviews, my laptop barely works at all under Windows 10. And my wife's 3-year-old laptop had tons of problems with wifi dropping out, keys on the keyboard randomly getting stuck (which turned out to be a driver issue, not a hardware one), sound priority issues with applications, and tons of other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      You are confusing "comes preinstalled" with "just works".

Give a laptop with FreeDOS to someone and see how Windows or OSX "just work" on it.

I'm not talking about installation. Modern Linux distros are no more difficult to install than Windows (actually they're easier, because they don't bother you with activation). But once installed, Windows will (mostly) "just work". Whereas Linux...

Comment

Working...
                      X