• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    for a soon-to-be-dead display server
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    the words "Mir" and "quick" in the same sentence
    These and many other similar comments make me wonder if anyone does actually like Mir. Even assuming Canonical manages to make it the default for 18.04, I suspect it will be more like something shoved down Ubuntu users throats than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
      These and many other similar comments make me wonder if anyone does actually like Mir.
      Of course there are. There are also people that fully support the Trump administration in everything they say and do. It's a specific mind set you need to acquire.

Comment

These and many other similar comments make me wonder if anyone does actually like Mir. Even assuming Canonical manages to make it the default for 18.04, I suspect it will be more like something shoved down Ubuntu users throats than anything else.
        Well I support some Ubuntu systems and if they get Mir I will have a look at how well it works.
        I see no reason to like or hate a piece of software before I even had a chance to try it out.
        I just hope, they don't pull a pulse audio on the users and make them hate the software by forcing it before it is ready for prime time. And yes I know, there was a chicken and egg problem involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          Well, is Mir using it to encrypt data or to ensure binary integrity.

Imy with Linus in that binary integrity is not effected by SHA1 being imperfect.

It be like throwing away a shovel just because it can't dig molten lava. A shovel is not intended for that purpose.
          But SHA256 is even more safe and easy to implement, so even if what you and Linus say is true, does it really matter if they go with SHA256 if they want to?

Comment

The way I'd describe it would be to say it's got the same kind of relationship with X.Org that SystemD has with init. X.Org eventually needs to be replaced and Mir is one of the two real alternatives for it (with Wayland being the other). Even at it's worst it's merely a necessary evil (which I'd say describes SystemD pretty well).

I'm not fully sure how I should look at it personally. More probably than not I'll just wait until Ubuntu starts shipping with it by default and I've actually tried using it for a few weeks before passing judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But SHA256 is even more safe and easy to implement, so even if what you and Linus say is true, does it really matter if they go with SHA256 if they want to?
              Also Linus is saying half-truths. SHA1 with Git is safe mainly if you deal with patches in mailing lists. If you deal with something like Github where people can craft and push blobs for pull requests, it's not as clear. It depends entirely how PR's are handled and I'm assuming they're insecurely merged instead of there being textual patch series being created when things move from repo to repo

Comment

Persoanlly, I'm open minded, the more free software the better.

Comment

As much as I hate Unity, but I wouldn't blame Canonical for this, as Canonical is officially providing and supporting alternatives (Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc), but it seems that the majority of users do prefer Unity nonetheless. Most Linux hardware vendors exclusively support Ubuntu Unity and most reviewers seem to be mostly using Unity when they review stuff, Phoronix included. If this trend continues Mir will eventually arrive as the default and will sideline Wayland and become the de-facto desktop environment on Linux.

Comment

I think you meant "180.04" there.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                      As much as I hate Unity, but I wouldn't blame Canonical for this, as Canonical is officially providing and supporting alternatives (Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc), but it seems that the majority of users do prefer Unity nonetheless. Most Linux hardware vendors exclusively support Ubuntu Unity and most reviewers seem to be mostly using Unity when they review stuff, Phoronix included. If this trend continues Mir will eventually arrive as the default and will sideline Wayland and become the de-facto desktop environment on Linux.
                      ???? Bullshit alarms off here.
                      Dafuck is hardware vendors that exclusively support Unity?
                      Also Reviewers use Unity only when reviewing Vanilla Ubuntu, but if they review any other random distro they don't, as Unity is ONLY in vanilla Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                      X