Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Features Coming For Mir 0.26: EDID, New APIs, Client-Side Vsync, Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Features Coming For Mir 0.26: EDID, New APIs, Client-Side Vsync, Performance

Phoronix: The Features Coming For Mir 0.26: EDID, New APIs, Client-Side Vsync, Performance

While Mir 1.0 is expected this year, the next upcoming release of the Mir display server is version 0.26. Here's a look at the new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too little, too late.

Comment

Wayland is actually completely ready. It's rest of the stack that needs work done. Unless Shuttleworth injects some serious cash, Mir would never be done.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        Wayland is actually completely ready. It's rest of the stack that needs work done. Unless Shuttleworth injects some serious cash, Mir would never be done.
        Isn't that mostly compositors/DE that have to do the majority of work to get Wayland working well now? Apart from some of the other issues like remote display. Mir is just targeted for Ubuntu Unity right? They're all internal projects where they're not that concerned with others and debating development to support them if I understand right, can reduce a bunch of friction. Like with the Wayland and NVIDIA issue, Gnome went and supported egl streams but KDE doesn't seem all that interested. Mir is less likely to have such an issue. No idea how much cash they pull in but considering the reduced friction they're more than likely to do just fine.

I'm an Intel/NVIDIA user, though definitely giving AMD another look this year with their new products. Wayland interests me(however I'm running KDE with multiple monitors), I'm not sure when that support will be there for me. Mir can do it's own thing, it's a different approach and may be worthwhile for those who enjoy Ubuntu Unity, depending how things pan out I might look into trying it at some point.

Comment

I do see one advantage to Mir in that since it still has a display server (as opposed to the compositor and DE being the display server), screen recording applications like SSR and OBS should be able to function on Mir by talking to it (after making them Mir aware, that is)?

I remember that the creator of OBS once mentioned somewhere that OBS will not work on Wayland for the foreseeable future due to him refusing to add DE-specific stuff into the OBS code.

Comment

Mir 1.0 was also expected to be released in 2013. It does not seem to happen any time soon.

And I agree that currently Wayland is actually too overcomplicated, but new DEs Will be able to just reuse Weston's code. It is only a problem for the old DEs like KDE and Gnome which simply can not use Weston's code.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              I remember that the creator of OBS once mentioned somewhere that OBS will not work on Wayland for the foreseeable future due to him refusing to add DE-specific stuff into the OBS code.
              That has to be addressed on Wayland level. I.e. the protocol should handle screen capturing and corresponding security issues. Then all compositors will implement it in the common fashion, and there won't be a need for DE specific methods. In this sense, Mir isn't any better - it's just another method to add to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                Wayland is actually completely ready.
                Apart from things like Color Management, where it has a very long way to go to catch up with current systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  I do see one advantage to Mir in that since it still has a display server (as opposed to the compositor and DE being the display server), screen recording applications like SSR and OBS should be able to function on Mir by talking to it (after making them Mir aware, that is)?

i see one, control of product, another one wayland will become like X in fewer years

Comment

Meanwhile Fedora already ships Wayland by default.
                    Any other distributions other than Fedora is shipping Wayland by default?

Although it is not too compelling to run Wayland over X yet until more applications natively support Wayland, else you end up having to proxy everything through XWayland.
                    Firefox, Chromium, and the Electron Framework (which powers Atom, VS Code, Spotify, etc) needs to get ported to Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X