GNOME Lands Mainline NVIDIA Wayland Support Using EGLStreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
    To clear up some misconceptions. First of all this was work that we in the Red Hat team did as we needed it for Fedora and future RHEL releases. At the same time we are the main commercial entity supporting the development of Nouveau, with Ben Skeggs being dedicated to that work. We are strongly in support of a shared successor to GBM that everyone can and will use and our team members have been participating in the discussions with NVidia to agree on such a thing.

So for us this was a purely pragmatical step we needed to take to move Wayland forward and we felt that since there is agreement for a shared future structure, and the patches to enable EGLStreams wasn't to intrusive we decided to prioritize our users and their needs. As for technical things both GBM and EGLStreams have their strengths and weaknesses so we don't think there is a strong design benefit to one or the other, but of course it would have been nice to have already one at this point and having to support two for the current time do of course add a bit of technical debt to the situation.
    I certainly see the pragmatic side here, and by itself I'd applaud this decision to support more users.

My main concern is that this will end up sabotaging the process of moving forward to GBM-Next (whatever it's called). I hope that's not the case, but this seems to take all the urgency away from that effort, and I really hope it doesn't end up delaying it from being ready in 1 year to being ready in 6 years, or even dropped entirely. That'd be really unfortunate.

Comment

Brilliant work Nvidia & Gnome. Now come on Mate! :-)

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Such trollfest in there. I prefer GNOME implementing an additional protocol than seeing Ubuntu splitting the Linux community the way they have been doing it for almost 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Don't freak out. Read it again. Nvidia is still working with everyone to find a unified solution that will work for their binary driver.
          Ahahah and do you trust THEM? How many middle fingers do we have to point towards Nvidia?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            Eglstreams is a standard https://www.khronos.org/registry/egl...KHR_stream.txt. if other drivers dont support it they are not compliant.
            That only means you have to comply with the full specs of the standard and the extensions it depends on if you wish to advertise you that you "support it".
            I am all for supporting EGLStreams myself. I just felt I should explain why support/compliance means

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              My main concern is that this will end up sabotaging the process of moving forward to GBM-Next (whatever it's called). I hope that's not the case, but this seems to take all the urgency away from that effort, and I really hope it doesn't end up delaying it from being ready in 1 year to being ready in 6 years, or even dropped entirely. That'd be really unfortunate.
              Well said, that would be my main concern as well.

Cheers,
              _

Comment

Now if only KDE could follow their great example.

Comment

I certainly see the pragmatic side here, and by itself I'd applaud this decision to support more users.

I cotta agree with you. I can understand the concession made to NVIDIA by the red hat gnome team, and that it can help foster some further cooperation, but I'm also worried about how long the NVIDIA "do it our way" mentality will persist with this backing down.
                  We all knew that the and eglstreams were both insufficient, but will the green team really stay cooperative without the pressure.

One good thing, is that the development of the replacement can now take place in a more orderly manner.

Hopefully the other desktops will stick to their guns.

Comment

Microsoft's Office Open XML is also a "standard" and every other competing project with Office is non-compliant.
                    The problem isn't OOXML, but that Microsoft still uses transitional instead of strict on Offfice.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Unless Blender became a "professional 3D modelling software" while I wasn't watching, you are talking of windows-only stuff, right?
                      There's also Autodesk Maya and a few other paid and closed-source CAD programs if price is what separates "professional" from "non-professional" for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X