Fedora 25 Wayland Tests A Success, On Track For Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    everything is forced upon you by redhat, didn't you know?
    no, i thought that was Ubuntu

Comment

Wayland is in a much better shape now. It's actually usable for me when paired with GNOME 3.22 on Arch.

However, I needed to get the GIT version of XWayland to get the mouse pointer focus locking to work in FPS games.

I think it was this patch:

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        Do they? What distro is currently shipping a Wayland-enabled version of KDE by default? Which KDE developer is declaring that KDE-on-Wayland is ready for general use? That seems like the kind of big announcement that I can't imagine I could have overlooked...
        Technically KDE Neon is now on Wayland by default, but AFAIK you're right in that none of the real distros have made announcements of plans to change the defaults for plasma 5 yet, however all that have 5.8 available should support it for users who want to play with it.

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        Not knocking the KDE team but they're definitely behind Gnome on this one... largely, I think, because they're also in mid-transition for big architectural changes. Gnome seem to have had better planning on this - they had similarly large changes to make, but got them out of the way some years earlier with Gnome 3, leaving them in a better position to focus on a Wayland migration.
        Well... that's the way the cookie crumbles, Gnome got a head start, however I would be rather surprised if Kubuntu didn't decide to default to it by their 2H2017 release ( with a valid possibility of their 1H2017 release) or openSUSE for their 2017 release

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          Gnome did not have a head start. The lesser desktops just decided against using resources on Wayland hacking. That is why Gnome dominates the development of Wayland and supporting libs as well.

A better name would be Gnomeland
          Look... if you're going to troll, don't be a disingenuous idiot about it.

Comment

I use Fedora, CentOS and Ubuntu LTS variants daily and Arch [and FreeBSD stable] occasionally. When it comes to stability, the current Fedoras (F18+) beat the rest of mentioned distributions except CentOS which is a different class. The tools like abrt and QA have improved the releases immensely, as well as the fact that Fedora Rawhide is used by plenty of upstream developers. It seems to me that the people, who constantly parrot claims about instability of Fedora, don't actually use Fedora, and by using I mean using.

Comment

Again and shorter - I don't understand why my previous post was Unapproved and vanished - there was nothing wrong.

I use Fedora, CentOS and Ubuntu LTS derivatives daily and Arch (and FreeBSD) occasionally. When it comes to stability, the current Fedoras (F18 and later) beat the rest except CentOS. The tools like abrt catch enough of information to allow developers to fix issues and Fedora's QA team does a good job. I suspect that the people, who repeat claims about instability of Fedora, don't actually use it and by using I mean using.

Comment

Originally posted by littleowl View Post
                Again and shorter - I don't understand why my previous post was Unapproved and vanished - there was nothing wrong.
                The post is right above there... Sometimes the spam filter just acts odd.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That is good to know starship. If you can prove any of the lesser desktops are getting the same level of QA as Fedora provides for Gnome then please do so.
                  Gnome3 on all distros I tried (Fedora included) consistently locks up on lockscreen on 3 different devices I own (open drivers), lacks proper controls to disable basic things like "suspend on close lid", and both these issues persist for like 2 years now (and bug reports for them are still open). Is that this mythical "level of Fedora QA" you talk about?

Until then.. We all know Even openSUSE is just a testbed for SLE.
                  Actually no, it is based off the same sources tho. It's Fedora that is some kind of testbed for RHEL.

Comment

Fedora is the best example of applied QA. They got the right people, defined release criterias and defined contingency plans.
                    Define "the right people", "release criterias" and "defined contingency plans" plz, because answering with generic propaganda isn't an answer.

The news stream of "another fedora delay" is QA and software engineering at work.
                    Yes, but that alone isn't an indication of its quality.

Comment

unapproved post above for Griffin (a second one)

Comment

Working...
                      X