Fedora 25 Wayland Tests A Success, On Track For Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by by.peroux View Post
    It's a nice news, but I'm not sure I'm ready to be beta tester of such huge impacting change on my workstation yet. Most probably skipping fedora 25 and waiting for the 26 in 6 months.
    You don't have to skip Fedora 25 if you don't want to use Wayland. Just use it with Xorg, it's just an option on gdm. That's what I'll do anyway since I need the nvidia drivers. Hopefully I'll be able to switch to Wayland with Fedora 26 though (by then more apps should be ported to native wayland and hopefully the nvidia drivers will be ready for it).

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Dear Pawlerson. Thanks for joining this thread about Fedora's proven track record on organizing QA for Wayland/Gnome. If you think other parties can do anything close to this please provide a link.
      OpenSUSE is doing it for Wayland/KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        wow a pro-GNOME anti-KDE fedora hat wearing troll.
        I use Kubuntu Lts but I enjoy for Fedora primacy.

Comment

what about chrome ozone (wayland) project? Chrome implements wayland since 50 release. How to know if it works or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            what about chrome ozone (wayland) project? Chrome implements wayland since 50 release. How to know if it works or not?
            chromium-ozone-wayland works, but it isn't a desktop browser. It's intended to be for embedded Wayland deployments. It lacks anything more that a rudimentary UX, last time I tried not even title-bar dragging moved windows. Likely, the desktop Linux (GTK3?) UX needs to be ported to work with ozone-wayland. Probably not a simple task.

Comment

Nice, Fedora announce Wayland as default in the same week Canonical release just about the most boring and uninspired Ubuntu release ever.

It's good to see at least one company is trying to advance the Linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                That is good to know starship. If you can prove any of the lesser desktops are getting the same level of QA as Fedora provides for Gnome then please do so.

Until then.. We all know Even openSUSE is just a testbed for SLE. Gnome based
                Umm yeah Horton sorry Griffin they have said that they didn't include KDE as it was in the transition from 4 to 5. Don't forget your favourite corporate overload includes KDE in RHEL.

Comment

*overlord

Comment

I guess Red Hat think a lot differently to you though. And what exactly is "proper" QA? Fedora isn't perhaps the best example.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

And bigger ones like KDE who lead Linux desktop for many years already support Wayland. What libs are you trolling about?
                      Do they? What distro is currently shipping a Wayland-enabled version of KDE by default? Which KDE developer is declaring that KDE-on-Wayland is ready for general use? That seems like the kind of big announcement that I can't imagine I could have overlooked...

Not knocking the KDE team but they're definitely behind Gnome on this one... largely, I think, because they're also in mid-transition for big architectural changes. Gnome seem to have had better planning on this - they had similarly large changes to make, but got them out of the way some years earlier with Gnome 3, leaving them in a better position to focus on a Wayland migration.

Comment

Working...
                      X