Fedora Is Hosting A Wayland Test Day Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Firefox and Chrome needs to be ported to Wayland.
    GIMP needs to be ported from GTK2 to GTK3.
    Electron (which is the framework used by Atom and Spotify) needs to be ported from GTK2 to GTK3 and ported to Wayland.
    Electron is already ported;
    Check https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/2927 and https://www.archlinux.org/packages/c...6_64/electron/

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      Couldn't they display a notification on a random number of computers to ask the users if they have a few minutes to try the Wayland environment and report the results? This could be part of their next release.

Educating the users on the benefits of Wayland, while letting them choose whether to participate or not, in a transparent way (and publish the results). I do not see any obvious downside to this approach.
      We don't have any system like that - we can't just send out arbitrary notifications like that. Of course we could write something like that and send it out as an update, but we don't have any plans to do that, I don't think. It's the sort of thing Linux users tend to get annoyed by

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Everything runs perfectly on XWayland which I am using since Fedora 23. Porting those applications, is not their problem.
        Yes, they run on Wayland through XWayland, that is true.
        However, applications running in XWayland have ugly window decorators, so the user experience is worse.

Also, if all the applications I use runs under XWayland, why should I even use Wayland instead of X?
        If you run everything through XWayland then it defeats the advantages of Wayland, and you might as well use X.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Also, if all the applications I use runs under XWayland, why should I even use Wayland instead of X?
          If you run everything through XWayland then it defeats the advantages of Wayland, and you might as well use X.

It is not all of nothing. Practically everyone is going to using XWayland for a long time for compatibility. The transition cannot be clean slate.

Comment

Well, I was thinking of getting feedback from diverse configurations.
            so everyone willing to take part in this testing is free to join
            Could you elaborate a bit why this wouldn't work?
            maybe you should read linked page with explanation of process?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It is not all of nothing. Practically everyone is going to using XWayland for a long time for compatibility. The transition cannot be clean slate.
              Indeed.

But the most important apps to run natively without XWayland are the ones that I use the most.

I need my web browser to run natively on Wayland, because that is what I use most.

Comment

Thanks everyone who attended the Test Day. Write up: https://www.happyassassin.net/2016/1...st-day-report/

Comment

Working...
                X