KDE Wayland Is Not Yet Interested In NVIDIA's EGLStreams Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    I'm not interested in the firmware. Firmware means nothing if the hardware has zero support in the kernel tree to begin with.
    Good to know.

And the chipset used by the A6100 (rtl8811au) is not supported by the mainline kernel. Just because distributions like OpenELEC patch in a third-party driver does not make it supported under any circumstances if the hardware is as good as non-existant in Linus's tree.
    You are right. There is no driver in Fedora and the stick (obviously) doesn't work. Intereseting that OpenELEC patches such things, but then again they probably think that given the use case it's not too much work.

I remembered the model right and now I don't know any wireless ac USB sticks that were supported by mainline Linux. I wonder why RTL8811AU drivers aren't merged although they have existed for so long. Doesn't the developer care enough to try to send them or what.

Edit: Not that it matters much in this discussion, but last time I had to install the out of tree drivers for the stick, it was quite simple. At least that's how I remember it, but of course if the user runs the latest kernel then their experience could be very much different.
    Last edited by Tomin; 16 September 2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

So how do i start my desktop in wayland on my intel iGPU if nvidia drivers dont work and start my games on my nvidia gpu. Oh wait EGLStreams would make such things much easier. The irony. Dissapointed in the linux community. NVIDIA is making open standards like GLVND and EGL(Streams) and the linux community pushes their platform specific bad performing junk.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        So how do i start my desktop in wayland on my intel iGPU if nvidia drivers dont work and start my games on my nvidia gpu. Oh wait EGLStreams would make such things much easier. The irony. Dissapointed in the linux community. NVIDIA is making open standards like GLVND and EGL(Streams) and the linux community pushes their platform specific bad performing junk.
        As I remember it, nVidia had plenty of time to participate in the planning discussions but, instead, chose to wait until everyone had already decided on and implemented a solution, then dropped by and said "Hay guyz! Here's how we'll do it!"

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          Did gnome compositor accept the egl stream? Did anyone else?
          QtWayland supports it

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

As I remember it, nVidia had plenty of time to participate in the planning discussions but, instead, chose to wait until everyone had already decided on and implemented a solution, then dropped by and said "Hay guyz! Here's how we'll do it!"
            Not really i just watched an EGLStreams talk from 2014 so i will call that argument nonsense.
            Last edited by cj.wijtmans; 17 September 2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Not really i just watched an EGLStreams talk from 2014 so i will call that argument nonsense.
              You could be right. I'm just summarizing the impression I got from the various posts I read both here on Phoronix and elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

You could be right. I'm just summarizing the impression I got from the various posts I read both here on Phoronix and elsewhere.
                It goes more like "nvidia bad hurdur". Even though when Linux told them f off it actually had its merits. When NVIDIA does the right thing with EGLStreams and GLVND everyone ignores nvidia and continues to implement something subpar and platform specific and the only argument you get when asking for it is "codepaths hurdur we lazy nvidia bad".

Comment

It goes more like "nvidia bad hurdur". Even though when Linux told them f off it actually had its merits. When NVIDIA does the right thing with EGLStreams and GLVND everyone ignores nvidia and continues to implement something subpar and platform specific and the only argument you get when asking for it is "codepaths hurdur we lazy nvidia bad".
                  You're aware that Nvidia wants everyone to make an implementation specific to their drivers, right?

Comment

I'm not interested in the firmware. Firmware means nothing if the hardware has zero support in the kernel tree to begin with.

And the chipset used by the A6100 (rtl8811au) is not supported by the mainline kernel. Just because distributions like OpenELEC patch in a third-party driver does not make it supported under any circumstances if the hardware is as good as non-existant in Linus's tree.

OS quality means jack **** when a user cannot even use their hardware on it. I can't use my 5 year old Samsung printer or 10 year old Canon scanner on Linux. That makes it inferior to Windows since i cannot get work done on Linux.
                    Well, my Spyder4 was supported out of the box and Darktable has built-in profiles for my D750. So, there. .

Comment

That was a crap example anyway. Printers and scanners don't last much on Windows land too. You have no idea of how much printers/scanners (tv cards too) I've had to change/retire/trash from customers because the last driver was for $older_windows_version, and of course it could not run in any way even with hacking the .inf or whatever on $current_windows_version.

Comment

Working...
                      X