Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Yup. Just letting him know his options
    Personally, I just enable backports and always do dist-upgrades. This is at work, where I need my machine to be stable first. At home I had no problem jumping ship to KDE Neon.
    I know, I'm just stating it because for newcomers it's not obvious.

I've seen my share of complaints about people on LTS that add cadres of PPAs to keep everything updated (and get breakage and annoyances) and end up hating linux because they don't know they are using it wrong and should have used a rolling-release instead.

Frankly, I've yet to understand why Ubuntu does not make a rolling release version and a LTS instead of the current system.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Frankly, I've yet to understand why Ubuntu does not make a rolling release version and a LTS instead of the current system.
      They probably don't have the resources to push speedy updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        why these upgrades are not available on LTs of Kubuntu?
        Because its Kubuntu. Kubuntu will only get Software from "before release", after Release only securityupdates will hit your Repo.

you really should try Manjaro: https://manjaro.github.io/
        easy to use, stable enough, new software every week and with a growing user base (+ steam preinstalled lol!)

Comment

I look forward to the day where a KDE release doesn't involve any Wayland additions. Right now, my Wayland experience in KDE has been sub-par. Some of the plasmids don't seem to work, I have some issues regarding my laptop's trackpad, and there are frequent crashes of applications. But, it's getting there. I feel like Wayland is kind of a burden on the development of KDE, but once it's implemented and refined the devs can move onto other things.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I look forward to the day where a KDE release doesn't involve any Wayland additions. Right now, my Wayland experience in KDE has been sub-par. Some of the plasmids don't seem to work, I have some issues regarding my laptop's trackpad, and there are frequent crashes of applications. But, it's getting there. I feel like Wayland is kind of a burden on the development of KDE, but once it's implemented and refined the devs can move onto other things.
            It is a necessary evil since the refactor will help improve compatibility with other systems(like Windows and OS X ) due modularization and refactoring/plugin system, of course this will translate too in more performance/less glitches with different vendors and X11 itself through more use of XCB.

its just that KDE started way after Gnome, so wait for a couple more releases to things get usable again, i believe a huge chunk of the refactoring is actually done but need to stabilize, so patience

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              It is a necessary evil since the refactor will help improve compatibility with other systems(like Windows and OS X ) due modularization and refactoring/plugin system, of course this will translate too in more performance/less glitches with different vendors and X11 itself through more use of XCB.

its just that KDE started way after Gnome, so wait for a couple more releases to things get usable again, i believe a huge chunk of the refactoring is actually done but need to stabilize, so patience
              I agree. I've pretty much had the same thought process. But I can wait. For everyday use, I don't really need Wayland, it'll just be nice to use it. It'll be nice to see how much it affects CPU usage and battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

I mean that many upgrades are not available yet. Kde PLASMA 5.6 is one example. They are in stable release but unavailable from official repository.

By he way, kernel upgrades themselves should not available from repository for LTs operating systems of linux?
                Plasma 5.6 is anything but stable. Its even masked for unstable on gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Ubuntu has non-LTS versions and you can usually safely dist-upgrade (upgrade a current Ubuntu system) to the next one that comes out every 6 months.
                  I hope you are not thinking that apt-get dist-upgrade has something to do with release upgrades. Just to remind people in general: apt-get dist-upgrade is different form apt-get upgrade just in that it may install new packages or remove existing packages if some dependency has changed. It is not meant to be used for release upgrades on Ubuntu and most certainly it doesn't do a release upgrade on its own. For that Ubuntu has update-manager and do-release-upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                    I hope you are not thinking that apt-get dist-upgrade has something to do with release upgrades. Just to remind people in general: apt-get dist-upgrade is different form apt-get upgrade just in that it may install new packages or remove existing packages if some dependency has changed. It is not meant to be used for release upgrades on Ubuntu and most certainly it doesn't do a release upgrade on its own. For that Ubuntu has update-manager and do-release-upgrade.
                    Well, I was .
                    I've left Ubuntu a long time ago and I don't remember well most of their commands that don't work on Debian.
                    Thanks for pointing this out.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Plasma 5.6 is anything but stable. Its even masked for unstable on gentoo.
                      "Gentoo stable" doesn't mean anything, and it isn't hard masked. Also have a look at the gentoo forums (Desktop environments sub forum), then you will see that users having issues with currently stable 5.5.5 are happy with 5.6.5. Furthermore there already is a stabilization request for 5.6.5 in the bugtracker, so it can't be THAT bad...

Comment

Working...
                      X