Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Wayland For KDE Plasma 5.7

Phoronix: The State Of Wayland For KDE Plasma 5.7

There are a lot of Wayland support improvements to find in the upcoming release of KDE's Plasma 5.7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why these upgrades are not available on LTs of Kubuntu?
    Last edited by Azrael5; 22 June 2016, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      why these upgrades are not available on LTs of Kubuntu?
      You mean "why these yet unreleased upgrades are not available on the stable version of Kubuntu?"

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You mean "why these yet unreleased upgrades are not available on the stable version of Kubuntu?"
        I mean that many upgrades are not available yet. Kde PLASMA 5.6 is one example. They are in stable release but unavailable from official repository.

By he way, kernel upgrades themselves should not available from repository for LTs operating systems of linux?
        Last edited by Azrael5; 22 June 2016, 04:29 AM.

Comment

I mean that many upgrades are not available yet. Kde PLASMA 5.6 is one example. They are in stable release but unavailable from official repository.

By he way, kernel upgrades themselves should not available from repository for LTs operating systems of linux?
          Welcome new linux user!

LTS releases are snapshots and usually get security fixes only, because their main goal is BEING STABLE and NOT BREAKING THINGS.
          Most users don't care about having the latest and greatest, but care bout not having updates breaking their system at random moments.

If you want to stay on something more reasonably updated, choose a rolling-release distro.
          OpenSuse Tubleweed, Manjaro/Antergos, Arch, Gentoo.
          Debian Testing is close enough to be a "rolling release" too.

Ubuntu has non-LTS versions and you can usually safely dist-upgrade (upgrade a current Ubuntu system) to the next one that comes out every 6 months.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 22 June 2016, 05:07 AM.

Comment

What he said. And you can get Plasma 5.6.4 from Ubuntu's backports PPA.
            I've recently switched from Kubuntu to KDE Neon and things are working just fine. So you may want to consider that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Welcome new linux user!

LTS releases are snapshots and usually get security fixes only, because their main goal is BEING STABLE and NOT BREAKING THINGS.
              Most users don't care about having the latest and greatest, but care bout not having updates breaking their system at random moments.

If you want to stay on something more reasonably updated, choose a rolling-release distro.
              OpenSuse Tubleweed, Manjaro/Antergos, Arch, Gentoo.
              Debian Testing is close enough to be a "rolling release" too.

Ubuntu has non-LTS versions and you can usually safely dist-upgrade (upgrade a current Ubuntu system) to the next one that comes out every 6 months.
              Thanks for the answer. Now I understand that the upgrades are not available for stability reason.

I hope however to get Chromium 52 or the imminent 53 release and subsequent releases available because it actually stuck into 50 although 52 went out since one month.

Thanks for the cooperation.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. Now I understand that the upgrades are not available for stability reason.

I hope however to get Chromium 52 or the imminent 53 release and subsequent releases available because it actually stuck into 50 although 52 went out since one month.

Thanks for the cooperation.
                You need to enable backports PPA if you want to get newer versions of installed software. See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  You need to enable backports PPA if you want to get newer versions of installed software. See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports
                  the PPA or backports way works as long as he needs a relatively limited amount of programs to be kept updated.
                  If his goal is having most of the applications /kernel /whatever kept up to date reasonably, it's best to go with a rolling-release distro or doing dist-upgrades with Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    the PPA or backports way works as long as he needs a relatively limited amount of programs to be kept updated.
                    If his goal is having most of the applications /kernel /whatever kept up to date reasonably, it's best to go with a rolling-release distro or doing dist-upgrades with Ubuntu.
                    Yup. Just letting him know his options
                    Personally, I just enable backports and always do dist-upgrades. This is at work, where I need my machine to be stable first. At home I had no problem jumping ship to KDE Neon.

Comment

Working...
                    X