Streams vs. GBM: The Fight Continues Over NVIDIA's Proposed Wayland Route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
    I dunno... Did Supreme Community Overlord said his decision? Because otherwise that rejection just mean that several guys won't do some job which doesn't mean nobody will do that job.
    maintainters said their decision numerous times. first, nobody will do that job, because whole point of this nvidia enterprise is to make job for others, not for themselves, and nvidia slave idiots can't do job, they can only post bullshit on forums. second, even when somebody does job, maintainters not always accept it, as evidenced by nvidia wayland fiasco
    More precise question is not "who of them needs more" but who will lose more in case agreement won't be reached. I think nvidia has nothing to lose.
    wayland developers will lose more if they accept eglstreams, so according to your definition eglstreams stand no chance
    So, one accusation is wrong: nvidia haven't presented their idea when all job is done, they explaining their point at least year and a half.
    wow nvidia imbeciles just ignore every piece of evidence which is against their overlord's imaginary world. it was said several times in this very thread that after nvidia explained their bullshit point in 2014 they were told that their approach is not acceptable. and they ignored answer and two years later returned with same bullshit again.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Still, I'm waiting for a coherent explanation on the "why NVIDIA cannot just use what everyone uses already and stop whining?" question.

Did they claim anywhere that their driver cannot run without this gimmick? what is it using currently?
      there is no coherent explanation. the only explanation they have is "gbm is lacking feature x, so here we invented whole new duplicate protocol". the answer is "nothing is preventing you from adding feature x to gbm"

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        there is no coherent explanation. the only explanation they have is "gbm is lacking feature x, so here we invented whole new duplicate protocol". the answer is "nothing is preventing you from adding feature x to gbm"
        Do you really think there would be no criticism if nvidia had come along with a massively extended and incompatible GBM implementation instead?

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
          Do you really think there would be no criticism if nvidia had come along with a massively extended and incompatible GBM implementation instead?
          well, i read wayland thread. it was acknowledged that missing features are desirable to add, but via extending gbm, not replacing it. now, ofcourse, nvidia is capable of fucking up everything, but at least if they start moving in right direction, after several iterations they could arrive at right design. just look at how nvidia's proposal of libglvnd is handled
          Last edited by pal666; 16 May 2016, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
            Of course there would be criticism. Rightfully so. This is not how open source works. It works by *contributing openly*. Both discussion- and code-wise . Not by developing behind closed doors and then doing a massive public code dump.

So if Nvidia just came along and dumped an incompatible GBM implementation, they'd be blasted for it. But if they came to dri-devel or some other mailing list and said "Hey, we need this and that, we want to extend GBM in such and such ways" and then hashed out a plan with the open source graphics community to incrementally extend GBM, then they'd be praised.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              what can be better than idiots feeling the need to suffer from self-inflicted pain? don't forget to return and pray on forums for wayland switching to eglstreams for additional amusement
              You are right.
              This is it.
              Self-inflicted pain.
              I mean, why do I read your posts?
              I need help.
              Time to call a doctor.
              pal666 raped my sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                You are right.
                This is it.
                Self-inflicted pain.
                I need help.
                Time to call a doctor.
                pal666 raped my sanity.
                Time to join 4chan then.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

You are right.
                  This is it.
                  Self-inflicted pain.
                  I need help.
                  Time to call a doctor.
                  pal666 raped my sanity.
                  "What this country really needs, right now, is a Doctor."
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                  X