Google Chrome 50 Released With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruthan View Post

Yes, but if would be Wayland compatible i wouldnt need 2 branches, one for Wayland and one for X.

Well no one forces you to implement native Wayland support for your application if you don't want to. It would likely run through XWayland just fine just like the thousands of X11 apps/games that will never get ported to Wayland.
    And well toolkits abstract most of the display server bits so if your application uses one then most of the Wayland porting effort is pretty much done if the toolkit supports it (like GTK+3 and Qt5 for example).

Comment

It's cool that progress is being made, but has anyone actually got it working without xwayland?

Comment

Yes, but if would be Wayland compatible i wouldnt need 2 branches, one for Wayland and one for X.
        seriously? you really want to drag 30 year old legacy again just because you're lazy? if you really don't want to have 2 paths, why not just stay with XWayland then?

Comment

Originally posted by paintbynumbers View Post
          It looks like when I launch it in a gnome shell (3.20) wayland session it's still running under xwayland. Anybody know how/if this can be forced to use Wayland?
          you can't. that is mutter problem and it was said this will not be tackled asap

Comment

Wayland for Chromebooks?

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

you can't. that is mutter problem and it was said this will not be tackled asap
              I can't in weston either, even with setting --ozone-platform=wayland and GDK_BACKEND=wayland. Which is a real shame since chrome in xwayland is horrendously buggy.

Comment

AWESOME! Chromium too?

Comment

From my point of view Wayland is disaster, i expected that there would be Xserver features parity, i Wayland need some coding and support on app side its wrong.
                  You need to support it app-side if you want it to be Wayland native. The same way apps needed to be coded against X to be native to X. Besides, not every feature of X is a feature that the developers -want- to carry into the future-- like Core rendering.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    Big surprise: Replacing something that isn't broken, is often a lot of work for very little gain
                    If you honestly believe that, you haven't been paying attention. X is horrendously broken and we can't ever fix it's most glaring problems without drafting a NEW X protocol.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

If you honestly believe that, you haven't been paying attention. X is horrendously broken and we can't ever fix it's most glaring problems without drafting a NEW X protocol.
                      Which they already tried: http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/X12/

We can all see how THAT turned out!

Comment

Working...
                      X