Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome 50 Released With Wayland Support

Phoronix: Google Chrome 50 Released With Wayland Support

The exciting day has continued of open-source/Linux news with Google now releasing Chrome 50...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ogle-Chrome-50

Wow, this is excellent. OTC kicks serious ass.

Comment

Also it has unicode regex support

Comment

Running Arch. The package for this (which downloads Debian debs) appears to be linked against the wayland libraries.

$ ldd /opt/google/chrome/chrome | grep -i wayland
        libwayland-client.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwayland-client.so.0 (0x00007f097a0c3000)
        libwayland-server.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwayland-server.so.0 (0x00007f0979eb1000)

It looks like when I launch it in a gnome shell (3.20) wayland session it's still running under xwayland. Anybody know how/if this can be forced to use Wayland?

Comment

Is this in Chromium now also?

Comment

Vulkan for Chrome is being worked on aswell, but no ETA:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/sk...35e5583be96b2f

Comment

From my point of view Wayland is disaster, i expected that there would be Xserver features parity, i Wayland need some coding and support on app side its wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                From my point of view Wayland is disaster, i expected that there would be Xserver features parity, i Wayland need some coding and support on app side its wrong.
                FYI, if you want X in your app you need some coding and support too

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  FYI, if you want X in your app you need some coding and support too
                  Yes, but if would be Wayland compatible i wouldnt need 2 branches, one for Wayland and one for X.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                    Big surprise: Replacing something that isn't broken, is often a lot of work for very little gain

Comment

Working...
                    X