Pointer Warping Emulation Is Being Worked On For XWayland To Fix Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    I'm curious, how e.g. touch-screen is supposed to work without a pointer warping? Isn't a touch is a warp of a pointer into a particular point of the screen?
    Should be fine as long as you give up absolute coordinates and just go with relative ones

Comment

I'm curious, how e.g. touch-screen is supposed to work without a pointer warping? Isn't a touch is a warp of a pointer into a particular point of the screen?
      A jumping input coordinate has never been a problem in Wayland, but for security and abstraction (pointer coordinate transformation is compositor responsibility) reasons an app cannot move the mouse pointer which is what this would need.
      As for touchscreens, they are a completely separate input path from mice, as are drawing tablets.

Comment

A touch is not the same thing as a mouse click or a mouse move. Best would be if the application can handle both but according the differences. But few applications really do this and rely on a emulation. The emulation can be done be a mouse move followed by a click if necessary. The difficult part is with touch screens: how do you distinguish between a move and a click?

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
          So what do these games do when run under SDL2/Wayland, crash with modeset failure? I tried the SDL2 port of ChromiumBSU and it worked find under Weston, even though it created a rescaled buffer since the native resolution was unavailable. I'm not saying some games don't have bugs and/or rely on X11 only features, but many will work, every SDL2 game I've tried has worked. I'm pretty sure mode-switching xrandr style is never going to be supported under Wayland, but does that matter?
          I think there's a misinterpretation here. Yes most games run on Wayland, but a lot of them run through XWayland due to them linking to X libraries, regardless of whether it uses SDL2. As Veto said, I would be interesting to see if there's any performance drop with XWayland (that way it can be fixed in future releases).

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
            I think there's a misinterpretation here. Yes most games run on Wayland, but a lot of them run through XWayland due to them linking to X libraries, regardless of whether it uses SDL2. As Veto said, I would be interesting to see if there's any performance drop with XWayland (that way it can be fixed in future releases).
            SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland is a runtime option, it doesn't matter what libraries have been linked in as long as Wayland support is compiled into libsdl2.

Comment

Working...
            X