Does Using GNOME On Wayland Save Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Sorry to say, but when explination is that vague... correct answer is 'i dunno' or ' not sure', but not 'no' .
    what, you want me to attach a patch?!?

I think i will remember that sentence but obvios question still remains: how to disable multimedia keys when screen is locked on Wayland without a hack?
    Simple, your gnome or kde or whatever compositor of choice implements some sort of security/privacy setting to configure whether or not to forward the multimedia key events to the lockscreen process.

not sure about other DE's, but gnome has similar settings for display notification events on lock screen. So this would be a pretty logical extension, imo

Advertising language again

Can i read anything reasonable here, without svaki ciga svoga konja hvali I think i can't
    huh?

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post

huh?
      apparently....

each ciga his horse praises

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
        This is only one of the many reasons wayland is needed. Things i'm finally enjoying are tear-free movies, multimedia keys working with fullscreen games, games crashing not screwing up the monitor resolution, fluid and snappy animations, no visual artifacts.
        Yeah but I'm experiencing all of this on X now, so I don't think you're making the point that "wayland is needed". I certainly don't say you shouldn't enjoy what Wayland brings you, I'm just saying that you're implying that on X you can't have what you're experiencing, and that's wrong. At least in my experience it is.
        Last edited by johnc; 04 January 2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

what, you want me to attach a patch?!?
          So when is your company going to support Wayland? Me hopping on the Wayland train is completely unfeasible until my GPU hardware is supported... and in this context I don't think I'm a rare bird out there.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            So when is your company going to support Wayland? Me hopping on the Wayland train is completely unfeasible until my GPU hardware is supported... and in this context I don't think I'm a rare bird out there.
            well, it is (obviously) coming to fedora first.. it will ofc take some time to complete the transition, but rome wasn't built in a day..

Comment

well, it is (obviously) coming to fedora first.. it will ofc take some time to complete the transition, but rome wasn't built in a day..
              lol... I thought you worked for nvidia... my bad.

Comment

Yeah but I'm experiencing all of this on X now, so I don't think you're making the point that "wayland is needed". I certainly don't say you shouldn't enjoy what Wayland brings you, I'm just saying that you're implying that on X you can't have what you're experiencing, and that's wrong. At least in my experience it is.
                You may experience no visual artifacts and no tear, but the X architecture gives clients too much freedom to screw up with the user's environment, so a game chrashing will not restore the native display resolution for you, or for anyone using X.
                I guess you could try to have a daemon with some heuristics to restore the resolution when it thinks it should, but that's a hack adding additional overhead.

Comment

This video demonstrates how Wayland can improve video playback, I'd be very surprised if you don't experience this when playing HD videos under X. I know any time I want to watch a movie it'll inevitably freeze a frame on screen for half a second every so often, and roast my lap at the same time...

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
                    And again Mali GPU with blob, cm'on... that blob plays like shit in X, made shitty hill and draw shitty conclusions

Svaki ciga svoga konja hvali.

Comment

And again Mali GPU with blob, cm'on... that blob plays like shit in X, made shitty hill and draw shitty conclusions

Svaki ciga svoga konja hvali.
                      But in the end wayland plays much better with blobs than X. You can turn it as you want, but it's still a point against X. A strong one, that is: wayland works with every chip used on Android, whereas X support is much less stellar for these.

Comment

Working...
                      X