Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robclark View Post
    well, s/screensaver/lockscreen/ then.. the point is still valid
    If you lock screen, why you want multimedia keys to function? So that your college can volume up music There is no point in that either way

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      If you lock screen, why you want multimedia keys to function? So that your college can volume up music There is no point in that either way
      actually yes.. or mute the music if I get a phone call without having to unlock screen, etc.

ofc, probably wants to be one of those security/privacy settings that the user could configure, similar to showing destktop notifications on lock screen.

Comment

actually yes.. or mute the music if I get a phone call without having to unlock screen, etc.
        I know for phones, but i am talking about Wayland on Desktop usage Same locking scheme is nothing good for Desktop.

Comment

I know for phones, but i am talking about Wayland on Desktop usage Same locking scheme is nothing good for Desktop.
          Why would you like to remove choice and freedom to some users who would like to have working multimedia keys when the screen is locked?

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
            Why would you like to remove choice and freedom...
            It is not choice, it i what it is. There is no choice or freedom for that matter, neither under X or Wayland. Under X you can't have it, under Wayland you can't remove it.

Comment

To me it seems a very reasonable request, but I find it hard to believe that we're going to write an entirely new display server from scratch, create a translation mechanism for old applications, and convert over all the window managers and toolkits just so that we can have multimedia keys on the lockscreen. Is this such a fundamentally impossible thing to fix that we need to rewrite everything and start over? I think the argument is very specious.

Comment

It is not choice, it i what it is. There is no choice or freedom for that matter, neither under X or Wayland. Under X you can't have it, under Wayland you can't remove it.
                no.. under x you can probably have it with a hack in the lockscreen / screensaver to handle the keys. In either case it could (should) be configurable, it's just the wayland case lets us implement it without a hack.

(and fwiw, I'm not talking about phones)

anyways, it is just one example of where wayland lets us solve things without resorting to piling on more hacks

Comment

no.. under x you can probably have it with a hack in the lockscreen / screensaver to handle the keys. In either case it could (should) be configurable, it's just the wayland case lets us implement it without a hack.
                  Sorry to say, but when explination is that vague... correct answer is 'i dunno' or ' not sure', but not 'no' .

it's just the wayland case lets us implement it without a hack.
                  I think i will remember that sentence but obvios question still remains: how to disable multimedia keys when screen is locked on Wayland without a hack?

anyways, it is just one example of where wayland lets us solve things without resorting to piling on more hacks
                  Advertising language again

Can i read anything reasonable here, without svaki ciga svoga konja hvali I think i can't
                  Last edited by dungeon; 04 January 2015, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I think i will remember that sentence but obvios question still remains: how to disable multimedia keys when screen is locked on Wayland without a hack?
                    This question makes no sense. It'd be nice if you looked at what Wayland is before talking about it. Wayland doesn't and never will implement support for multimedia keys on the lockscreen, or even the lockscreen itself. Wayland is an IPC protocol and library.

A compositor doesn't need to do any hack to disable multimedia keys. It's in the input path, it just stops sending key events.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      To me it seems a very reasonable request, but I find it hard to believe that we're going to write an entirely new display server from scratch, create a translation mechanism for old applications, and convert over all the window managers and toolkits just so that we can have multimedia keys on the lockscreen. Is this such a fundamentally impossible thing to fix that we need to rewrite everything and start over? I think the argument is very specious.
                      This is only one of the many reasons wayland is needed. Things i'm finally enjoying are tear-free movies, multimedia keys working with fullscreen games, games crashing not screwing up the monitor resolution, fluid and snappy animations, no visual artifacts.

Comment

Working...
                      X