Does Using GNOME On Wayland Save Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
    I've used X for nearly 30 years and will not miss its demise. X, and X alone is the sole reason that linux didn't long ago eclipse Windows on the desktop. Want proof? Look at how fast Android knocked Windows out of the running on smart phones and tablets.
    Come on now, that's just silly.

Comment

I can't believe there are end users that actually like X.org. To me it's the bane of the Linux desktop. Even if we shall agree on there not being any visible difference for users, why can't the developers get something actually managable to work with? No one can argue that X is better, so they argue they're equals. So what do you lose?

However, the benefits even to end-users have been demonstrated and repeated in this thread already. And I can't wait till it's here.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        Why would one not want to use a compositor? I'm not talking about desktop effects. Using a composed desktop makes it faster. E.g. windows don't have to be redrawn when cycling through the windows using alt+tab. This is especially interesting when using remote apps.
        compositor makes it slower
        Recently Phoronix did an article about performance under different compositing and non-compositing window managers. GNOME Shell didn’t do that well, so lots of people pointed it out to me. Cl…

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
          ,The article is from 2011. And being a first attempt on getting numbers, they are a bit fishy - as explained in the past on why compiz is slow. Then, actually it's a good thing that composing reduces the app redrawing to 60 fps

I wonder what this load parameter really is.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            I can't believe there are end users that actually like X.org. To me it's the bane of the Linux desktop. Even if we shall agree on there not being any visible difference for users, why can't the developers get something actually managable to work with? No one can argue that X is better, so they argue they're equals. So what do you lose?

However, the benefits even to end-users have been demonstrated and repeated in this thread already. And I can't wait till it's here.
            Why should Desktop users like Wayland so much nowdays i dunno... go back in 2008. year when Wayland was started, those were all valid differences and revisit what we have now in xserver, but there is actually no point about tearing anymore DRI2/KMS was implemented after that, and now DRI3... but funny thing is that also hardware changed, so there will be also plenty of FreeSync monitors this year so there will be no tearing if kernel understand that

LG Electronics (LG) today announced plans to introduce the world's first 21:9 "UltraWide" gaming monitor compatible with AMD FreeSync technology for fluid motion during fast gameplay. The new monitor headlines LG's expanded lineup being unveiled next week at the 2015 International CES and further...

So can you explain me why is Wayland that important nowdays or in future? To just run a compozitor by default or what? I can't see much points now to see it on Deskop .
            Last edited by dungeon; 03 January 2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              So can you explain me why is Wayland that important nowdays or in future? To just run a compozitor by default or what? I can't see much points now to see it on Deskop .
              Two words: input handling.
              There are so many weird glitches in X concerning input especially with popups (menus) and windows that force themselves into the foreground, as well as with fullscreen applications.
              And, worst of all, keyboard grabs. Not being able to Alt-Tab out of a frozen game window has caused me annoyance MANY times.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                Two words: input handling.
                There are so many weird glitches in X concerning input especially with popups (menus) and windows that force themselves into the foreground, as well as with fullscreen applications.
                And, worst of all, keyboard grabs. Not being able to Alt-Tab out of a frozen game window has caused me annoyance MANY times.
                Those are two words, but one thing... i know about that is most known one of course, you choose better examples then daniels he was much more sarcastic in video - spoken about screensavers like "you can't use multimedia keybord keys while screensaver is running" i think about that like - "well screensavers usually does not save you power and it was designed to "save" screen on CRTs - why you even want to use that in the first place"...

Comment

But, that one isn't strict X problem... some games grabbs it and some not, some are Alt-Tab aware some are not

Comment

I thought Valve fixed that in SteamOS?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      But, that one isn't strict X problem... some games grabbs it and some not, some are Alt-Tab aware some are not
                      In Wayland, unlike X, all input goes through the compositor, which means that the window management code can always process their alt-tab, regardless of a game capturing all input.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      I thought Valve fixed that in SteamOS?
                      I don't use SteamOS, because I do other things on my PC besides games.

Comment

Working...
                      X