Does Using GNOME On Wayland Save Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Don't forget the proprietary drivers since Wayland is dead in the water without them.
    good thing it's been running just fine on proprietary drivers (in shipping products) for the last 3+ years then.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
      good thing it's been running just fine on proprietary drivers (in shipping products) for the last 3+ years then.
      We're talking about desktop products.

Congratulations on the embedded market, however. Wayland seems useful there, but X11 isn't common in that space anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Congratulations on the embedded market, however. Wayland seems useful there, but X11 isn't common in that space anyway.
        If it's working fast and well on low-end hardware, why not using it on desktop hardware? Don't mention the network awareness of X11. I use it on a daily basis and it's quite broken. Only software like xpra makes it bearable via slow and changing links (wifi) and I'm positive that there will be something like xpra for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
          Also check out this video comparing Wayland to Xorg on low-end hardware:

Maybe this will satisfythe die-hard X fans who are still out there in large numbers?
          What is tested there is probably non composited X, or some borked Pi blob driver or not with vblank against of course Wayland which has composite requirement. You should not see that tear in X with vblanked composition and proper drivers .

I tried that with xserver 1.17 git glamor and downclock my AMD Athlon 5350 to 800 MHz to simulate even more low end hardware... and no, no, it works all smooth and fine in X openbox/comption just like it do in wayland/weston... that is not what i have here, so don't see any strong point for wayland there

If Pi blob favor something, well that does not mean all driver in X behave like that .
          Last edited by dungeon; 31 December 2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            What is tested there is probably non composited X, or some borked Pi blob driver or not with vblank against of course Wayland which has composite requirement. You should not see that tear in X with vblanked composition and proper drivers .

I tried that with xserver 1.17 git glamor and downclock my AMD Athlon 5350 to 800 MHz to simulate even more low end hardware... and no, no, it works all smooth and fine in X openbox/comption just like it do in wayland/weston... that is not what i have here, so don't see any strong point for wayland there

If Pi blob favor something, well that does not mean all driver in X behave like that .
            Did you try?
            Have you measured the same variables the video shown? Or your opinion is just a sort of "my eyes say they are the same"?
            Also, to be honest, the "vblacked composition and proper drivers" sounds like a list of things necessary to workaround to the X deficiencies more than a strong point in favor, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
              Did you try?
              What?

Have you measured the same variables the video shown?
              Which variabiles?

Or your opinion is just a sort of "my eyes say they are the same"?
              My eyes are fine :=)

Also, to be honest, the "vblacked composition and proper drivers" ...
              I never say "vblacked" really .

Anyway, Happy New Year to you

Comment

... sounds like a list of things necessary to workaround to the X deficiencies more than a strong point in favor, to me.
                Which deficiencies? It is Pi driver blob used there... if some blob prefer to go there why should I

I don't have that tearing in openbox, and i had not that laggy tear even 10+ years ago in DRI1/XAA drivers time with radeon 7200 and AMD Duron 650 MHz. That is pure shitty Pi blob / software problem

It is pure shit video, or Pi is shit or drivers there are shit - or all are shits there .

BTW, comments are disabled on that yt video - that approve video is pure marketing shit

Comment

Which deficiencies? It is Pi driver blob used there... if some blob prefer to go there why should I

I don't have that tearing in openbox, and i had not that laggy tear even 10+ years ago in DRI1/XAA drivers time with radeon 7200 and AMD Duron 650 MHz. That is pure shitty Pi blob / software problem

It is pure shit video, or Pi is shit or drivers there are shit - or all are shits there .

BTW, comments are disabled on that yt video - that approve video is pure marketing shit
                  Or, more simple, X is shit. :-)

Comment

Or, more simple, X is shit. :-)
                    Yeah what people use, that is always some kind of shit

You can use "X is shit" credo to drive Wayland development, otherwise that is not really quite true

Comment

Wayland compositor uses Pi hardware compositor, X based ones cannot. Simple as that.
                      You can try to blame the driver, but truth is the driver is used as is by both X and wayland, so if it sucks for X, it's mostly an issue with X.

Comment

Working...
                      X