What It Takes To Port An X11 Application To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nslay View Post
    And while we're at it, let's not follow other open standards like X11, OSS, POSIX ... These standards suck so let's replace them with Linux-specific non-standard ways to do things (everyone uses Linux, right?). Complaining about proprietary ... ha!

The hypocrisy from the Linux community is astounding. Just earlier this century the Linux community was constantly whining about Microsoft not following standards. Now they have invented their own Linux-specific ways to do things. It's as if the rest of the Unix world didn't exist (and to be fair, Linux is starting to diverge from Unix-like).
    Just tell me which other Unix, you have in mind? The one that is in the majority of the mobile telephones? The one that runs Facebook, Google, Amazon? The one that is in your TV? The one runs top of the Top 500 super-computers?
    Guess what, "clever boy"...unix is dead! Linux just got the best of it, before it died.

Comment

Ummm.... there are built in PDF readers in chrome and firefox. Let alone the myrid list of pdf viewers a user could have on their system. I'm pretty sure the percentage of people who can't view pdf is much, much, much, much, much smaller than the percentage that can't view odp.

Personally, I don't care too much either way. I prefer PDF, but having the file as odp doesn't bother me.

Comment

Knowledgeable

If you're on here interested in Wayland graphics topics, having or installing LibreOffice should be trivial

Originally posted by frign View Post
        Thanks, dude, I wouldn't have ever found that out myself!

Now, imagine a world where not everyone has LibreOffice on their computers. That's reality.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
          And while we're at it, let's not follow other open standards like X11, OSS, POSIX ... These standards suck so let's replace them with Linux-specific non-standard ways to do things (everyone uses Linux, right?). Complaining about proprietary ... ha!

The hypocrisy from the Linux community is astounding. Just earlier this century the Linux community was constantly whining about Microsoft not following standards. Now they have invented their own Linux-specific ways to do things. It's as if the rest of the Unix world didn't exist (and to be fair, Linux is starting to diverge from Unix-like).
          You know Linux isn't UNIX right? It's never been a certified UNIX OS in it's entirely lifespan. If you're looking for a free UNIX you are looking for FreeBSD not Linux. Linux is a UNIX-like OS and has never pretended to be otherwise.

Comment

Here's the idea

Originally posted by yourfriendarmando View Post
            If you're on here interested in Wayland graphics topics, having or installing LibreOffice should be trivial
            Sure, I could do that while asleep . But I don't want to pollute my system with the deps it pulls in.

Comment

Sure, I could do that while asleep . But I don't want to pollute my system with the deps it pulls in.
              KDE libs are pollution, GTK libs are pollution. Wait, you said that you're fine with Qt. Have fun

As for wayland, very cool it's getting traction...

Comment

Are libreoffice's deps really that many?

Out of curiosity, I decided to get a list of what libreoffice depends on, excluding internal dependencies (libreoffice-writer to libreoffice-common). Then I 1-upped the situation by seeing how many packages I have installed also share dependencies with that of libreoffice.

I imagine the packages in the teens and less are most likely only used by libreoffice-*.

I use Debian 'testing'

Packages dependent | Libreoffice-* depends on:
                1529 libc6
                366 libglib2.0-0
                342 libstdc++6
                326 libgcc1
                226 zlib1g
                216 libx11-6
                165 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
                164 libcairo2
                143 libfreetype6
                123 libatk1.0-0
                122 libgtk2.0-0
                120 libpango-1.0-0
                120 libfontconfig1
                98 libxext6
                98 libpangocairo-1.0-0
                94 libxml2
                94 libdbus-1-3
                68 libpng12-0
                68 libjpeg8
                66 libpangoft2-1.0-0
                61 libdbus-glib-1-2
                53 libsm6
                53 libice6
                43 libssl1.0.0
                38 libcups2
                28 libexpat1
                27 libxrender1
                25 libxt6
                25 libxrandr2
                21 libgstreamer1.0-0
                20 libxinerama1
                20 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0
                19 liblcms2-2
                17 libicu52
                16 libldap-2.4-2
                14 libcurl3-gnutls
                12 ure
                12 uno-libs3
                10 libwpd-0.9-9
                8 libxslt1.1
                8 libnspr4
                8 fontconfig
                7 libharfbuzz0b
                5 libnss3
                4 libwpg-0.2-2
                3 libhunspell-1.3-0
                3 libharfbuzz-icu0
                3 libboost-date-time1.54.0
                2 libodfgen-0.0-0
                2 libneon27-gnutls
                2 libgraphite2-3
                2 libclucene-core1
                2 fonts-opensymbol
                1 lp-solve
                1 libwps-0.2-2
                1 libvisio-0.0-0
                1 librdf0
                1 liborcus-0.6-0
                1 libmythes-1.2-0
                1 libmwaw-0.1-1
                1 libmspub-0.0-0
                1 liblangtag1
                1 libhyphen0
                1 libexttextcat-2.0-0
                1 libcmis-0.3-3
                1 libclucene-contribs1
                1 libcdr-0.0-0
                1 fonts-sil-gentium-basic

Comment

Nice statistics

Originally posted by yourfriendarmando View Post
                  Out of curiosity, I decided to get a list of what libreoffice depends on, excluding internal dependencies (libreoffice-writer to libreoffice-common). Then I 1-upped the situation by seeing how many packages I have installed also share dependencies with that of libreoffice.

I imagine the packages in the teens and less are most likely only used by libreoffice-*.

I use Debian 'testing'

Packages dependent | Libreoffice-* depends on: [...]
                  Using Gentoo, Libreoffice would pull in around 500 packages for me. I am on an extremely minimal system and enjoy using abiword and gnumeric, because they are what I'd consider suckless software-titles, unlike LibreOffice, which is a beast!

Most people don't realize this nowadays, because their systems are already bloated, but I think this is a serious factor.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    And who says that ODP files need an office suite to be viewed.

It's better to encourage open standards, rather than stick to a crappy, proprietary format just because it's the prevalent format.

Otherwise, we might as well all just pack our bags and start using windows...
                    Having it in ODP instead of PDF meant I couldn't view it while on the train but had to wait until I got home because my smart phone doesn't have LibreOffice but it does have a PDF reader.

Comment

Good example

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      Having it in ODP instead of PDF meant I couldn't view it while on the train but had to wait until I got home because my smart phone doesn't have LibreOffice but it does have a PDF reader.
                      That's EXACTLY the point! Well put and a good example.

Comment

Working...
                      X