Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a load of crap, nonsense

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
    A lot of people contribute to the kernel, just not Canonical/Ubuntu. Canonical takes from others and mashes it into Ubuntu, then doesn't contribute anything back.

Hell, Microsoft contributes more to the kernel than Canonical ever has and Microsoft only contributes Hyper-V support.
    Yeah right like Canonical doesn't have Linux kernel dedicated developers which going by the recent report contributed 548 patches.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-contributors/

Canonical contributed 548 changes in the period studied in today's report and would have cracked the top 30 if the foundation hadn't included "none" and "unknown" in the rankings. The maker of Ubuntu has been criticized for years for not contributing more to the kernel (and recently clashed with Intel over patches submitted to the company's graphics driver), but Zemlin isn't upset. "I am not at all mad at them. I think they do good work," he said. "You just kind of choose what's important to your org and where you can add the most value to the project and how it intersects with your business. They choose to focus a lot of their time and energy at higher levels of the software stack."
    Besides Microsoft contributed only in one period of time and only for their purposes (Hyper-V).

Comment

Ignore Shuttleworth

Mark Shuttleworth has no credibility.
      He will say whatever to hype up things and justify whatever it is hes doing.

I don't trust the guy.

Comment

Am I in an alternate reality?

Because often in sites it see articles being extremely biased or plain stupid, but on this site, the articles are always a good read but in the comments we have people arguing over free software. It's like arguing at the food bank over the selection of food. IT'S FREE.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
          Because often in sites it see articles being extremely biased or plain stupid, but on this site, the articles are always a good read but in the comments we have people arguing over free software. It's like arguing at the food bank over the selection of food. IT'S FREE.
          It's free. Maybe that's why it's not so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
            smspillaz (Compiz-dev, ex-canonical employee) Also wrote a blog article on Mark's comments / this situation.

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2013/...airs/#comments
            While this guy does have a point, it is foolish to assume that some things exist purely apolitically, and those that insist on creating such distinctions often promote the apathy that is destroying the planet.

That said, a lot of the people arguing here are not really engaging in a proper political debate or are representative of a project as a whole. I know i'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              While this guy does have a point, it is foolish to assume that some things exist purely apolitically, and those that insist on creating such distinctions often promote the apathy that is destroying the planet.

That said, a lot of the people arguing here are not really engaging in a proper political debate or are representative of a project as a whole. I know i'm not.
              I think Shuttleworth's comment was largely aimed at Intel's "The Management" and its quip about "not endorsing [Canonical's] decisions". It was kind of a political move, but that's how the world works.

Comment

Ubuntu has real support from Valve's Steam application.

The ultimate deciding vote is the hardware manufactures:
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                  Ubuntu has real support from Valve's Steam application.

The ultimate deciding vote is the hardware manufactures:
                  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ0NzA
                  Looks like NVIDIA is going with a generic EGL driver and not taking sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                    I object to the old school way of thinking in the linux desktop comunity. It has not worked very well: too much teenager politics.
                    This statement contradicts itself. Is it old school or teenager?

Comment

And again...Shuttleworth is writing a bold blog post and Mr. Meta Discussion Seigo feels insulted by it.
                      Nobody cares what Mark writes, it's just a little P.R. for Mir, which is not final yet.
                      But why must everyone, especially the KDE devs, crawl out from under their rock and state their opinion.
                      It's again such a nonsense discussion.
                      And before Seigo et al. crawl out of their cave to prove something, they should get their own shit together.
                      Just look at the Vivaldi tablet and Plasma Active...Where is it ?
                      And KDE could need more love too, it has some real flaws since years.
                      But no, they have to discuss over and over again and care for Ubuntu and Canonical's products.

Comment

Working...
                      X