No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 14.04 Codename Revealed, Mir Haters Attacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Shuttleworth is an idiot... how else would you define someone that can't read the writing on the wall.

canonical's server/data business is ACTUALLY making a profit, and this idiot, instead of investing heavily into it and pour all resources and money into it, is dreaming about ubuntu edge smartphones and tablets...

Comment

"Mir is relevant for approximately 1% of all developers, just those who think about shell development. Every app developer will consume Mir through their toolkit."
      He says that as if maintaining a separate fork of their application(s) for another display server isn't going to take extra work... he really believes it's a non-issue to force devs to worry about holding up 2 versions of any graphical software they make? I just... I don't believe he is that stupid.
      I don't hate on Canonical over most things. They don't seem absolutely evil to me most of the time. But something is definitely up here, smells real fishy. Maybe he just wants to use it as a means to make more money? I dunno. Seems like he could be doing a better job of being civil and honest about his motives. What a shame, I do look up to the man in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        Mark Shuttleworth is an idiot... how else would you define someone that can't read the writing on the wall.

canonical's server/data business is ACTUALLY making a profit, and this idiot, instead of investing heavily into it and pour all resources and money into it, is dreaming about ubuntu edge smartphones and tablets...
        Right, an idiot, and that is why you are a millionaire and he is not.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          I think the whole background of discussion about Mir misses an important point. Canonical seems to be in financial trouble now: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...nonical-ubuntu
          Their whole rush and erratic behavior with Mir rollout and disregarding the global community can stem from the interest to monetize something fast.
          Your theory makes more sense if you disregard speed as a reason. They can't sell Wayland to an OEM, but they can sell Mir.
          Mir is GPLv3 and completely owned by Canonical, an OEM trying to avoid dealing with GPLv3 and proprietary ARM drivers can simply buy a license from Canonical.

Mark Shuttleworth is using the exact same hollow argument he used in other occasions
          "Why people are criticizing Mir? Because they are open source extremists with an agenda, just like the Tea Party."
          "Why people are criticizing Unity? It's because 1337 haxors that want Linux to be hard."
          And using "NIH syndrome" and "an agenda" while defending Mir? ROLF...

Comment

this is 1 awesome soap opera.

*grabs chips*

Comment

Yeah this is a soap opera...

Why is it people don't just shut up and install Fedora, Mint, Gentoo, whatever makes their day instead of whining whenever they get a chance. In that respect Mark S is right; it seems people act like small children instead of respecting other peoples right to fork and re-invent the wheel in new and exciting ways as they seem fit.

Yes, I use Ubuntu, because it was the first distro to actually be useful for everyday use (coming from Redhat, Slackware, Mandrake and Debian).
              Yes, I like Unity because it makes good use of my screen real estate.
              Yes, I would have liked Ubuntu to also support Wayland - but I respect their vision and will exercise my right to chose differently, if I don't like the outcome.

Diversity and choice...
              Last edited by Veto; 18 October 2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Tea Party? really?

Who acted unilaterally now and then? Canonical or the rest of the community?

Is like if M.S. thought that there were only hippie programers and freaks at FOSSDEMS. Only people of none importance ... as if nVidia, Intel and AMD representatives and Xorg programmers didn't assisted and weren't the main part of ponences and discussions.

So why bother to discuss things and help community when he can take control of the thing and do whatever he want?

He can make a fine roll with MIR and insert it in his penis orifice. Then close the door. And I bet nobody would miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                  Yeah this is a soap opera...

Why is it people don't just shut up and install Fedora, Mint, Gentoo, whatever makes their day instead of whining whenever they get a chance. In that respect Mark S is right; it seems people act like small children instead of respecting other peoples right to fork and re-invent the wheel in new and exciting ways as they seem fit.

Yes, I use Ubuntu, because it was the first distro to actually be useful for everyday use (coming from Redhat, Slackware, Mandrake and Debian).
                  Yes, I like Unity because it makes good use of my screen real estate.
                  Yes, I would have liked Ubuntu to also support Wayland - but I respect their vision and will exercise my right to chose differently, if I don't like the outcome.

Diversity and choice...
                  The only problem is that their choice isn't only going to affect those who use Ubuntu.
                  Making Unity was fine. I like it a lot, it's a good desktop system to use. Having Upstart is fine, it works and doesn't screw up. Using smart scopes is fine. It's a feature that not everyone needs to use or worry about.
                  But using Mir, as it is today, isn't going to only change how your computer works. It is either going to change how EVERY graphical application has to be developed, or what users can make use of it. This is the biggest threat of fragmentation Linux is facing, aside from ARM vs x86. It could see a lot of people not being able to use future versions of applications, or see x.org continue to be the most attractive display server to develop for, which means moving to a new display server is going to take even longer and be even harder for app devs. That's not helpful, at all. Not even to Ubuntu users, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    From a psychological POV:

Seems like things are not going too well at Canonical.
                    Why else would MS post something like that?
                    IMHO it sounds nervous and uncouth.
                    Agreed. The core idea of the whole rant was, in essence, "No u!". If he's resorting to that, then he's obviously grasping at straws. He knows it's not going to work, he knows he doesn't have any good answer to any of the questions raised by the others. But he still is hoping for a miracle and doesn't want to back out of the commitment. So all he can do now is say something akin to "This is going to work! I swear it will! The setbacks and criticism are irrelevant! I can do it!.." Unfortunately, once it fails, his disappointment will be much bigger than it would be if he slowly backed out of it and admitted defeat while still at it.

I'm also always amazed at his skill to say a lot of buzzwords and nothing solid at all.

Comment

The Tea Party wants basic human rights where a giant federal government doesn't run absolutely everything in society. I agree with the Tea Party and don't understand the criticism.

I also am cheering for both Mir and Wayland: I'm excited about either tech making the Linux desktop even better.

Comment

Working...
                      X