X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kigurai
    replied
    Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    Why implement multiple Desktop Environments instead of just relying on one? Why implementing multiple distros instead of just relying on one? Why have multiple browsers, text editors, programming languages, ...?
    As long as all desktop environments bring something to the table, sure. But why are developers forced to the least common feature base of init systems, when a new init system actually brings benefits?
    Let's make an analogy to web pages. Do you think it is reasonable that we only build web sites that have to be compatible with, say Internet Explorer 1.0? As in: no web features beyond what was available in the 1990's.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    Originally posted by bkor View Post
    Why would every Desktop Environment reimplement things multiple times instead of just relying on systemd? Note that Enlightment is also doing the same, so?
    Why implement multiple Desktop Environments instead of just relying on one? Why implementing multiple distros instead of just relying on one? Why have multiple browsers, text editors, programming languages, ...?

Leave a comment:

• bkor
    replied
    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    They have been working on it and technically it's in beta testing rather than just being experimental, so yes the Wikipedia article is a little stale. I hope that eventually that this will eventually give those systems that choose not to adopt systemd for whatever reason the option to also keep up to date with software and not be limited by a project's artificial dependency on features exclusive to systemd.
    So Android will use Upstart? Show me some evidence! Or you mean you can put Ubuntu/Unity on an Android phone? Is not really the same.

For your "artificial dependency", please show me where OpenRC has the features systemd has. E.g. login session, logind, vt switching, etc. Why would every Desktop Environment reimplement things multiple times instead of just relying on systemd? Note that Enlightment is also doing the same, so?

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Maybe not. I feel the same way about off topic kernels.
    Maybe not? So you know me better than I do?
    Furthermore, does the discussion of kernels insult you? Does it belittle your lifestyle choice in some way? Or do you just dislike anything that isn't Linux and GTK?
    I've got my money on the latter.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Fixed that for you.
    Fixed what? I meant what I said, off topic pictures have no place on Phoronix.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    i'm sorry you did
    It's not me you should be apologising to.
    Off topic pictures don't have a place on Phoronix.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxGamer
    replied
    Originally posted by intellivision
    Very mature. You know that some homosexuals might find that image offensive, don't you?
    i'm sorry you did

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Originally posted by bkor View Post
    Last I heard, OpenRC developers consider the parallel starting of services experimental. Mentioned on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRC, maybe stale information. Another init system, cool, but seems you just dislike systemd.

Those platforms seem really irrelevant? They're highly specialized. Further, I don't think Upstart is used on Android. If you check http://upstart.ubuntu.com/, it suggests Fedora while they switched, no mention of Android. Why mention Android, really? Chrome OS also has to do more that they're Ubuntu based. Doesn't seem like a concious decision, more that it was a good decision at that time.
    They have been working on it and technically it's in beta testing rather than just being experimental, so yes the Wikipedia article is a little stale. I hope that eventually that this will eventually give those systems that choose not to adopt systemd for whatever reason the option to also keep up to date with software and not be limited by a project's artificial dependency on features exclusive to systemd.

Leave a comment:

• bkor
    replied
    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    OpenRC isn't making an exodus, the last commit happened hours ago, it has been ported to multiple platforms and OS's, it recently became the init system for ArchBSD and it may yet become the default for DragonflyBSD.
    Last I heard, OpenRC developers consider the parallel starting of services experimental. Mentioned on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRC, maybe stale information. Another init system, cool, but seems you just dislike systemd.

Oh, and it lacks a copyleft license for peace of mind.
    I also don't see systemd taking over from Upstart on the most prevalent Linux platforms, Chrome OS and Android.
    Those platforms seem really irrelevant? They're highly specialized. Further, I don't think Upstart is used on Android. If you check http://upstart.ubuntu.com/, it suggests Fedora while they switched, no mention of Android. Why mention Android, really? Chrome OS also has to do more that they're Ubuntu based. Doesn't seem like a concious decision, more that it was a good decision at that time.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Ha. True. Worst part is he could have spent his time reading about Gnome and BSD on Gnome's wiki. It is really just a matter about making a few patches for a few modules. They could live in a few branches. But nobody cares besides a few BSD developers.

Im just happy sandboxing is coming and this means more deps on systemd. Cheers to OpenRC people's exodus.
    OpenRC isn't making an exodus, the last commit happened hours ago, it has been ported to multiple platforms and OS's, it recently became the init system for ArchBSD and it may yet become the default for DragonflyBSD.
    Oh, and it lacks a copyleft license for peace of mind.
    I also don't see systemd taking over from Upstart on the most prevalent Linux platforms, Chrome OS and Android.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X