GNOME Shell 3.10 Is Ready To Shine On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bkor View Post
    OpenRC doesn't offer anything near the capabilities of systemd. Various components of systemd work via APIs (often d-bus). If you don't want systemd, write the same functionality without it. Totally ok, just make sure that the API is the same.

So instead of:

gnome-shell -> abstraction layer -> "systemd API" -> systemd component
    gnome-shell -> abstraction layer -> "OpenRC API" (often not existing!) -> OpenRC component

we want

gnome-shell -> "API" -> systemd/OpenRC/etc component

because in practice, it is not just gnome-shell talking to some API, various components. This becomes complex and buggy really quick. Simple solution would be to make OpenRC offer the same APIs as systemd/logind/etc has. This is what Canonical would do for something basic (so NOT the entire thing, just the bare minimum) IIRC.

This is similar as POSIX IMO, just that these APIs are new, due to new requirements. And I forgot, but there are two OpenBSD developers with commit rights on git.gnome.org. They usually find and fix portability issues, but we move a bit faster than they can keep up unfortunately.
    ok, so you "like" *BSD's ?:
    You talk about systemd + Gnome3, whatever, like everything is gonna work out fine in the BSD's, hey no worries, whatever. You know developers @openbsd, I know developers in @lalaLand,...
    Well, I haven't seen anything yet regarding "systemd" on any of the *BSD's, it ain't exactly comin' to town soon now is it ?
    Why are you saying crap like this.
    IBM/Redhat + Systemd + Gnome3 (revitalized), but don't worry, it's comin to the BSD's, oh, and if it doesn't, or instead OpenRC is the sober-best way to do do this for ALL concerned then you're just gonna flip-out again. ?
    Dude, you care about the *BSD's, about as much I care about Windows, i mean, can you atleast admit that. ?

So how much work has really gone into porting systemd to the BSD's -oh that's right becuae IBM/Lennart "hates" the BSD's, -comon man -lol, , that's old, but "factual", slashdot stuff that we all know about now. Thise kinda "jack-boot" attitudes don't go so far these days.

I think the bullyshit that I'm gonna call, is the same bullyshit that attracted all the IBM/Redhat + Gnome3 + systemd fan-boys here in the first place on this sub-forum, and that's the 1st place
    But please stop makin half-witted promises on things that I know you will laughably blame BSD for later. It'll be BSD's fault for not porting systemd right? -actually that in a way, is right. I can just see Redhat/Lennart now, bending over to help OpenBSD -suuuure.
    But others are also right here, why the f___ should Linux help.port this over for BSD... ?
    ok.

It's too bad BSD lost half it's cream develpment over to MacOSX, but then again, it's also too bad Torvalds lost his kernel to Android (which are makin' their own Billion$)..., for the next dozen years or so.

The point is, it would obviously be more advantageous to have an "init" system (what was so wrong with the old one, no really afterall, except for extra eye-candy boot speed?)
    that can work beatifully across ALL other Unix-like OS's of the User's "choice" for gawd sakes. -that would be a noble goal, without prejudice. -hence OpenRC(since 2007), potentially could have filled that void with some un-biased help from all parties concerned.

If, on the other hand, what you propose technically, can work, and of course stably, for ALL concerned, then fine, I will eat my gawd-dam liquorice baseball cap in front of you.

There's just somethin' really fishy here, systemD,..., you know, "one ring to rule them all" and it's not gonna come out the way you think, in the worldwide Linux community?, mmm but then again, many bigger civilizations than us, have come n gone too, so who knows?
    Last edited by scjet; 20 September 2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scjet View Post
      ok, so you "like" *BSD's ?:
      You talk about systemd + Gnome3, whatever, like everything is gonna work out fine in the BSD's, hey no worries, whatever. You know developers @openbsd, I know developers in @lalaLand,...
      Well, I haven't seen anything yet regarding "systemd" on any of the *BSD's, it ain't exactly comin' to town soon now is it ?
      Why are you saying crap like this.
      IBM/Redhat + Systemd + Gnome3 (revitalized), but don't worry, it's comin to the BSD's, oh, and if it doesn't, or instead OpenRC is the sober-best way to do do this for ALL concerned then you're just gonna flip-out again. ?
      Dude, you care about the *BSD's, about as much I care about Windows, i mean, can you atleast admit that. ?

So how much work has really gone into porting systemd to the BSD's -oh that's right becuae IBM/Lennart "hates" the BSD's, -comon man -lol, , that's old, but "factual", slashdot stuff that we all know about now. Thise kinda "jack-boot" attitudes don't go so far these days.

I think the bullyshit that I'm gonna call, is the same bullyshit that attracted all the IBM/Redhat + Gnome3 + systemd fan-boys here in the first place on this sub-forum, and that's the 1st place
      But please stop makin half-witted promises on things that I know you will laughably blame BSD for later. It'll be BSD's fault for not porting systemd right? -actually that in a way, is right. I can just see Redhat/Lennart now, bending over to help OpenBSD -suuuure.
      But others are also right here, why the f___ should Linux help.port this over for BSD... ?
      ok.

It's too bad BSD lost half it's cream develpment over to MacOSX, but then again, it's also too bad Torvalds lost his kernel to Android (which are makin' their own Billion$)..., for the next dozen years or so.

The point is, it would obviously be more advantageous to have an "init" system (what was so wrong with the old one, no really afterall, except for extra eye-candy boot speed?)
      that can work beatifully across ALL other Unix-like OS's of the User's "choice" for gawd sakes. -that would be a noble goal, without prejudice. -hence OpenRC(since 2007), potentially could have filled that void with some un-biased help from all parties concerned.

If, on the other hand, what you propose technically, can work, and of course stably, for ALL concerned, then fine, I will eat my gawd-dam liquorice baseball cap in front of you.

There's just somethin' really fishy here, systemD,..., you know, "one ring to rule them all" and it's not gonna come out the way you think, in the worldwide Linux community?, mmm but then again, many bigger civilizations than us, have come n gone too, so who knows?
      try again when you get sober, this is unreadable

Comment

it's also too bad Torvalds lost his kernel to Android
        What.
        -------

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          try again when you get sober, this is unreadable
          I agree, that post was to totally whacky that I am doubting if he is really a troll...

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
            Ha. True. Worst part is he could have spent his time reading about Gnome and BSD on Gnome's wiki. It is really just a matter about making a few patches for a few modules. They could live in a few branches. But nobody cares besides a few BSD developers.

Im just happy sandboxing is coming and this means more deps on systemd. Cheers to OpenRC people's exodus.
            OpenRC isn't making an exodus, the last commit happened hours ago, it has been ported to multiple platforms and OS's, it recently became the init system for ArchBSD and it may yet become the default for DragonflyBSD.
            Oh, and it lacks a copyleft license for peace of mind.
            I also don't see systemd taking over from Upstart on the most prevalent Linux platforms, Chrome OS and Android.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              OpenRC isn't making an exodus, the last commit happened hours ago, it has been ported to multiple platforms and OS's, it recently became the init system for ArchBSD and it may yet become the default for DragonflyBSD.
              Last I heard, OpenRC developers consider the parallel starting of services experimental. Mentioned on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRC, maybe stale information. Another init system, cool, but seems you just dislike systemd.

Oh, and it lacks a copyleft license for peace of mind.
              I also don't see systemd taking over from Upstart on the most prevalent Linux platforms, Chrome OS and Android.
              Those platforms seem really irrelevant? They're highly specialized. Further, I don't think Upstart is used on Android. If you check http://upstart.ubuntu.com/, it suggests Fedora while they switched, no mention of Android. Why mention Android, really? Chrome OS also has to do more that they're Ubuntu based. Doesn't seem like a concious decision, more that it was a good decision at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                Last I heard, OpenRC developers consider the parallel starting of services experimental. Mentioned on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRC, maybe stale information. Another init system, cool, but seems you just dislike systemd.

Those platforms seem really irrelevant? They're highly specialized. Further, I don't think Upstart is used on Android. If you check http://upstart.ubuntu.com/, it suggests Fedora while they switched, no mention of Android. Why mention Android, really? Chrome OS also has to do more that they're Ubuntu based. Doesn't seem like a concious decision, more that it was a good decision at that time.
                They have been working on it and technically it's in beta testing rather than just being experimental, so yes the Wikipedia article is a little stale. I hope that eventually that this will eventually give those systems that choose not to adopt systemd for whatever reason the option to also keep up to date with software and not be limited by a project's artificial dependency on features exclusive to systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision
                  Very mature. You know that some homosexuals might find that image offensive, don't you?
                  i'm sorry you did

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    i'm sorry you did
                    It's not me you should be apologising to.
                    Off topic pictures don't have a place on Phoronix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
                      Fixed that for you.
                      Fixed what? I meant what I said, off topic pictures have no place on Phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                      X