Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
    You might want to let Intel know that they have no shot in the mobile market. They clearly have very different intentions. Of course I was merely responding to the idea that we need to have Tizen take off.
    Well, when talking about Tizen, you have to differentiate between three somewhat different things -

Tizen IVI - running on IVI systems,
    Tizen - running on mobile, phones/tablets, mostly ARM-based, and
    Tizen OS - running on ultrabooks, laptops, desktops, mostly probably x86-based.

Intel is mainly interested in the latter, while Samsung is the one who is interested in the middle one for their phones/tablets. Will Intel support the idea of x86-based tablets and other devices, heck yeah, if someone wants to make them - they'd be stupid not to. But I very much doubt mobile devices are the main reason why Intel is interested in Tizen. Tizen OS looks and behaves much more like a traditional dekstop distro, uses GNOME shell (rebranded as "Tizen shell"), and has already been demoed on an intel ultrabook, running the Steam client even.

So yes, if Tizen OS takes off, it's something that would likely bring computers (actual computers, not touch screen toys) with Linux preinstalled (and running Wayland, no less!) on the reach of consumers - Intel definitely has the leverage to make this happen. I fail to see how this would be anything but a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke View Post
      Scared of NSA? What, do you have something to hide?

Comment

• This just proves how shity of a company Intel is.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          if its not in Debian Stable or testing and if it's in Unstable that looks just like maintains for Ubuntu to me i been using Debian a long time i know how they roll some of the best server software in the world is Debian Stable
          Packages in unstable automatically migrate to testing after ten days. Testing becomes stable when release criteria are met. A package that is placed in unstable will naturally end up in the next stable release. Only blocker bugs and manual intervention will prevent this. I've seen useful packages in experimental that are never uploaded to unstable preciseley because they are considered unsuitable for stable, not because they are considered unsuitable for unstable (there is no auto-migration of packages from experimental to unstable).

Comment

• Originally posted by synaptix View Post
            One cannot affect social change without breaking the law. Those who are attempting to affect social change, therefore, most definitely have something to hide. From having read Luke's earlier posts, I know that Luke most definitely has something to hide, and I for one am glad that people like Luke are out there doing what they do.

Comment

• Originally posted by synaptix View Post
              I have lots to hide, but I usually keep it in my pants.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Well, when talking about Tizen, you have to differentiate between three somewhat different things -

Tizen IVI - running on IVI systems,
                Tizen - running on mobile, phones/tablets, mostly ARM-based, and
                Tizen OS - running on ultrabooks, laptops, desktops, mostly probably x86-based.

Intel is mainly interested in the latter, while Samsung is the one who is interested in the middle one for their phones/tablets. Will Intel support the idea of x86-based tablets and other devices, heck yeah, if someone wants to make them - they'd be stupid not to. But I very much doubt mobile devices are the main reason why Intel is interested in Tizen. Tizen OS looks and behaves much more like a traditional dekstop distro, uses GNOME shell (rebranded as "Tizen shell"), and has already been demoed on an intel ultrabook, running the Steam client even.

So yes, if Tizen OS takes off, it's something that would likely bring computers (actual computers, not touch screen toys) with Linux preinstalled (and running Wayland, no less!) on the reach of consumers - Intel definitely has the leverage to make this happen. I fail to see how this would be anything but a good thing.
                It's a pity that most of the Tizen project is hinging on the success of the smartphone platform, which Samsung is looking uneasy about supporting in the future.
                The lack of a FOSS SDK and the fact that several applications shipped with the OS fall under the non-FOSS Flora license is also worrying, compared to other open source projects such as FirefoxOS, not to mention the closed source Bada libraries that will be included with Samsung's handsets.

There also seems to be a lack of planning especially in regards to the official development frameworks available.
                Firstly it was going to use EFL and C++ for native applications and HTML5 for the rest, with the EFL frameworks being depreciated temporarily, then were brought back.
                There also hasn't been any word as to whether Qt applications will be officially supported by Tizen and therefore allowed into their walled garden market.

Their use of Wayland is impressive, but their execution of this project may have killed it before it even took off, the same way LiMo, Maemo and Meego went.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  And what was Canonical's "course of action"? Going with a home-grown single-distro solution rather than the cross-distro approach everyone else was using. Not supporting single-distro approaches means not supporting Canonical's "course of action".
                  Again, if that's the policy, that's clear beforehand to the maintainer. If they had to revert a patch merged by the maintainer, I think it's clear it was an exception.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
                    Reverting foul commits in pre-release versions are hardly policy change. This happens all the time, if you assume such motivation for every reverted commit, then your world must be very colorfull.
                    The Management has spoken.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
                      Reverting foul commits in pre-release versions are hardly policy change. This happens all the time, if you assume such motivation for every reverted commit, then your world must be very colorfull.
                      I've been following some git repos for drivers, and I've never seen any reverted commit where the one reverting it calls someone else as the one taking the decision to revert...

Comment

Working...
                      X