Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Are you kidding? Haven't you seen the notice Intel gave for it?
    No, and neither have you. You saw a single-sentence summary in a git commit.

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    It wasn't about being distro specific, it was clearly stated the 'course of action' of Canonical wasn't approved, and that it was the reason.
    And what was Canonical's "course of action"? Going with a home-grown single-distro solution rather than the cross-distro approach everyone else was using. Not supporting single-distro approaches means not supporting Canonical's "course of action".

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Incorrect, not all applications use toolkits, some need direct access to display server. Look at XBMC which had to develop separate backends for Mir & Wayland.
      Possibly the best example of applications not using Gtk/Qt is games. There is SDL, but not everyone wants to use that (for whatever reason). Moreover, if an app/game want to statically link with SDL, the app/game devs need to maintain two (or three including X) separate builds for Linux... what a great help Canonical was in attracting game devs to Linux...

Comment

• Originally posted by talvik View Post
        This is the worst example possible. For Mir/Unity to run on Debian, you would have to use the Canonical patched Qt, GTK, mesa, noveaua, radeon, compiz, gnome libs... you have to replace so many packages that you'd have to essentially turn Debian to Ubuntu to run Unity.

The same goes for Ubuntu Software Center and Ubuntu One. The moment I discovered I couldn't get Ubuntu One on debian, I ditched One.

That bug is from January 2011. The last port is from January 2013: "Building the entire thing was a real PITA... And this definitely cannot be done by a single person. So are people interested and willing to take it further ???" So no it's not working, it's a partially working build.
        edit: It's a port of Unity without Mir. If they couldn't port unity, they certainly won't with Mir
        Fanboys will be Fanboys and if you look at the comments it's for Debian SID

Ubuntu Unity Sucks i want to see the updated Video for Xmir/Unity Next LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          Porting (or trying to port) something to Debian is happening in Debian's development branch? Oh, that is really surprising, who would have thought that.

Comment

I don't think the debian version matters. The port wouldn't be possible in any of them.

Comment

This is the worst example possible. For Mir/Unity to run on Debian, you would have to use the Canonical patched Qt, GTK, mesa, noveaua, radeon, compiz, gnome libs... you have to replace so many packages that you'd have to essentially turn Debian to Ubuntu to run Unity.

The same goes for Ubuntu Software Center and Ubuntu One. The moment I discovered I couldn't get Ubuntu One on debian, I ditched One.

That bug is from January 2011. The last port is from January 2013: "Building the entire thing was a real PITA... And this definitely cannot be done by a single person. So are people interested and willing to take it further ???" So no it's not working, it's a partially working build.
              edit: It's a port of Unity without Mir. If they couldn't port unity, they certainly won't with Mir
              Yes, building was apparently a "real PITA" - but it's been done. And it's working, from last paragraph: "Oh!! And yes, it also runs on my box."

Yes, it's just Unity not Mir, but Mir won't be far behind: "Obviously we will be working closely with Debian to help get Mir in the Debian archives too."

At some point in the future Mir+Unity is likely to be available in Debian. Obviously it's still in heavy development at the moment, but there are going to be Debian users who want to run it on Debian, and once it stabilises it will be easier to package.

Comment

• Originally posted by F i L View Post
                Possibly the best example of applications not using Gtk/Qt is games. There is SDL, but not everyone wants to use that (for whatever reason). Moreover, if an app/game want to statically link with SDL, the app/game devs need to maintain two (or three including X) separate builds for Linux... what a great help Canonical was in attracting game devs to Linux...
                What games do not use SDL/GTK/Qt/OpenGL? I mean popular games, not xeyes or xboing.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                  Yes, building was apparently a "real PITA" - but it's been done. And it's working, from last paragraph: "Oh!! And yes, it also runs on my box."

Yes, it's just Unity not Mir, but Mir won't be far behind: "Obviously we will be working closely with Debian to help get Mir in the Debian archives too."

At some point in the future Mir+Unity is likely to be available in Debian. Obviously it's still in heavy development at the moment, but there are going to be Debian users who want to run it on Debian, and once it stabilises it will be easier to package.
                  lets see it will not be for 40 more mo's for debian stable and jono bacon is just a troll oops i mean PR head yeah if i was them i been trying hard to push off the maintains on Debian too just like they tryed to do on Intel

Comment

The moment I discovered I couldn't get Ubuntu One on debian, I ditched One.
                    Debian Bug #559752. Seems inactive which is a bit unusual given that it is available on Arch and there's a Fedora repository too.

Comment

lets see it will not be for 40 more mo's for debian stable
                      Debian Stable is slow to update, but that's the whole point. Believe it or not, there are actually people who need two years of stability between updates. If you want a faster rolling release use Testing or Sid.

Comment

Working...
                      X