Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developer Offers Kickbacks For Wayland Alternative

Phoronix: Developer Offers Kickbacks For Wayland Alternative

In an attempt to promote his Wayland fork and gain influence, the lead developer was offering monetary kickbacks to highlight his forked Wayland and Weston code-bases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

In an attempt to promote his Wayland fork and gain influence, the lead developer was offering monetary kickbacks to highlight his forked Wayland and Weston code-bases...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MDE
    While this is still in the beginning it might prove useful now that Kristian Hogsberg announced that he will be working on Mir after he accepted a position at Canonical (anounced it today at the ML). I don't see an bright future for wayland without Kristian.

Comment

omg
      DRAMAGASM!
      on April 1st, too!

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        While this is still in the beginning it might prove useful now that Kristian Hogsberg announced that he will be working on Mir after he accepted a position at Canonical (anounced it today at the ML). I don't see an bright future for wayland without Kristian.
        I'm not so sure about that, seeing as how Mark Shuttleworth just left Canonical to join Apple. Without Mark's money, I don't see Mir going anywhere too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MDE
          Come on Michael, don't blame the guy for just knowing you're a sensationalizing bastard. We all, Phoronix readers, know it and we're just ok with that. No need to dramatize that much!

On a side note: this April 1st is promising much laughter!

Comment

???

After reading all those e-mail messages, lets just wait and see if the guy really has the maturity to leverage as move this project forward and deliver something that works.

Comment

Nice job, managing to even piss off promoters / news sites by constant nagging. After all I presume that's the reason you posted the excerpts.

Regarding Kristian leaving for Canonical/Mir: better double-check that tomorrow

Comment

Michael, imo you're dramatizing too much a simple offer of money, the guy didn't ask you to commit a crime or join a cabal, really, it's not even worth the article if not for the link of the site.
                If you don't want to accept money for such things then please don't complain that you don't get enough money from running your site.
                I think taking the money is OK, because most people, including me, are using and will be using ad-block and that would be an assymetric solution. You only have to make the article(s) promoting it short and without any drama and only when there's something interesting, like a new video about Wayland/Norwood/Alaska progress.

PS: If anyone would be paying me I'd even be willing to promote lipstick for pigs.
                Last edited by mark45; 01 April 2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by www.northfield.ws
                  Moreau has been educated by some of the greatest people from around the world, mastering many of the various fields involved with Computer Science. Scott is looking to settle in the town of Colorado Springs [...] The city of Colorado Springs has been chosen by many, including great minds such as Nicola Tesla, who graced these streets before there were many streets at all.
                  Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Michael, imo you're dramatizing too much a simple offer of money, the guy didn't ask you to commit a crime or join a cabal, really, it's not even worth the article if not for the link of the site.
                    If you don't want to accept money for such things then please don't complain that you don't get enough money from running your site.
                    I think taking the money is OK, because most people, including me, are using and will be using ad-block and that would be an assymetric solution. You only have to make the article(s) promoting it short and without any drama and only when there's something interesting, like a new video about Wayland/Norwood/Alaska progress.

PS: If anyone would be paying me I'd even be willing to promote lipstick for pigs.
                    All things considered, this article may very well earn him more money overall...

But yes, I didn't see anything particularly wrong here, until the whole "leak" idea surfaced.

Comment

Working...
                    X