• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Developer Offers Kickbacks For Wayland Alternative

Developer Offers Kickbacks For Wayland Alternative

Phoronix: Developer Offers Kickbacks For Wayland Alternative

In an attempt to promote his Wayland fork and gain influence, the lead developer was offering monetary kickbacks to highlight his forked Wayland and Weston code-bases...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MDE

• erendorn
    replied
    Ah thanks a lot, I feel stupid now, but I never noticed that icon (and I've looked more than once ).

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    this forum needs a "report" link..

Leave a comment:

• erendorn
    replied
    this forum needs a "report" link..

Leave a comment:

• erendorn
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Michael is often complaining about how NVidia won't send him free hardware, so he can't publish stories about them, while he does get ATI hardware so those reviews get pushed out. How exactly is that so different?
    That would have been akin to give Michael insider info and covering material (like, prepare some vids or some ready to use disk image to help testing).
    I'm pretty sure if ATI sends a card + some money, it will become problematic.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    And where did he say Michael wasn't free to label it as such?
    When he asked Michael to present it as a leak from an inside source.

Michael is often complaining about how NVidia won't send him free hardware, so he can't publish stories about them, while he does get ATI hardware so those reviews get pushed out. How exactly is that so different?
    There is a difference between offered hardware, which you can't physically test unless you possess it, and being paid money to write something favorable about software, which doesn't require any sort of financial investment to test.
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 04-06-2013, 03:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Paid advertisements are labeled as advertisements, not news.
    And where did he say Michael wasn't free to label it as such? Michael is often complaining about how NVidia won't send him free hardware, so he can't publish stories about them, while he does get ATI hardware so those reviews get pushed out. How exactly is that so different?

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    That's essentially the exact same thing as paying for an advertisement, and he didn't even ask that it had to be good publicity.
    Paid advertisements are labeled as advertisements, not news.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    No, this is not how the world works. Offering money for (positive) coverage is what is wrong with this. Especially when attempting to collect donations through that.

I'm not necessarily happy with the way all that is happening/covered/displayed, but the approach was wrong in itself, even if naive.
    Maybe i missed it, but i don't think he asked anywhere for "positive" coverage. He just asked for Michael to publicize it. That's essentially the exact same thing as paying for an advertisement, and he didn't even ask that it had to be good publicity.

That said, I am glad Michael turned this offer down. I just don't think there was anything nefarious going on here.

Leave a comment:

• erendorn
    replied
    Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with this. This is just how the world works.
    No, this is not how the world works. Offering money for (positive) coverage is what is wrong with this. Especially when attempting to collect donations through that.

I'm not necessarily happy with the way all that is happening/covered/displayed, but the approach was wrong in itself, even if naive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X