• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We have no plans to support Wayland."

Originally posted by nVidia
    "We have no plans to support Wayland."
    Source: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=11

This is gonna be fun. But as long as they are happy launching the GTX 580 on tuesday that sucks more power than my whole computer...

At least they say so NOW. And for them it might not even be a bad strategy to focus on that one driver that works, rather than wasting resources on chasing a whole bunch of hyped virtual rabbits.

Comment

Ha ha... oh wow. Fun times indeed. What's AMD's stance on Wayland?

Comment

Of course Nvidia and AMD will say "No!", for now.
        They have a lot of software to write and support and Wayland which is not even deployed yet anywhere is the least of their worries.
        In like 4 years Wayland will be running well and native on Ubuntu (on top of open source graphics drivers) and X will already considered pretty much an obsolete technology - that's when the folks from Nvidia and AMD will start thinking about supporting Wayland.
        Hence the open source drivers are the (only) way to go for Wayland for now, which shouldn't be news nor surprising.

Comment

The administrator with his 1 minute rule deserves a few "warm greetings" from the phoronix forum users, we all love this rule.

Comment

The open drivers will work well for current graphics cards because the drivers will have matured by then. New cards will be left playing catch up as always.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
              The open drivers will work well for current graphics cards because the drivers will have matured by then. New cards will be left playing catch up as always.
              What does matured mean in this sense?

How long does it take for graphics drivers to reach that point, after the hardware is released? How long does it then take before this hardware then gets ignored, and the support deteriorates again? How large is this window?

Also, how is this point defined at all? Is it the point where this hardware is working as expected, or is this the point where your expectations have dropped enough?

(yes, i am an actual graphics driver developer, with way too much experience and with far too good a grasp of history)

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                The administrator with his 1 minute rule deserves a few "warm greetings" from the phoronix forum users, we all love this rule.
                We sure do!! I bet that every user with more than 3 posts has cursed the edit time at least once.

So, nvidia isn't supporting wayland, open-source drivers and optimus. They sure are linux-friendly!

Comment

Well, this is marketspeak. "We have no plans" is worse than "We are looking into" but it is still better than "We won't"

Comment

At least Nvidia said it doesn't mind people creating open source drivers for their hardware (which is very good if you think about it), unlike for instance Microsoft, who recently vehemently opposed the intent of a third party to create open source drivers for their newly launched "Kinect".
                    As I understand it, Nvidia doesn't offer open-source drivers because they're afraid they might be infringing some patents which would show up in the source code.. (I heard many companies do this for same reason, don't we all love software-patents?) but then I don't know why they won't even release documentation since AMD doesn't have (serious) problems neither with the source code nor with releasing documentation about its hw.

Comment

Working...
                    X