No announcement yet.

Wayland Protocols 1.34 Introduces Better Drag & Drop, Explicit DRM Sync Objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do hope they fix the problem I have with QMMP (with a winamp skin) on wayland.
    For now I am back to X.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post

it already had sex...it just never satisfies the community
      Maybe get some training or something

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4life View Post
        I do hope they fix the problem I have with QMMP (with a winamp skin) on wayland.
        For now I am back to X.
        Probably, if they have a bug report

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4life View Post
          For now I am back to X.
          I use the best audio player in the world everywhere (Windows, Android, ...) AIMP (Association Of Independent Music Publishers). Unfortunately, for Linux it only exists in Wine.
          I don't know a better one.​​​
          Skin WinAmp is native.

I've never used Foobar 2000. I can't compare. But I'm not missing anything here. It can do many things.​

AIMP : Free Audio Player : Официальный сайт программы
          Last edited by Rovano; 22 March 2024, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
            I wonder how much performance will explicit synchronization provide if any
            Explicit sync in the display protocols won't have any measurable effect on application frame rates with upstream drivers. It might allow avoiding some compositor frame drops due to over-synchronization though, e.g. with screen grabbing.

(With the nvidia driver, explicit sync might even appear to hurt performance in some cases. That's just because it's currently going faster than actually possible though, due to no synchronization)

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. DRM kernel drivers expose a common modesetting API which the compositor or X server talks to. It allows the to query the connected displays, set the display topology, use planes, etc. Applications render their frame and hand it to the compositor which either composites it with other windows into a common display buffer and passes that to the GPU or passes it directly to the GPU for display in the case of full screen applications. The app can render at any size it likes and then the compositor can do whatever it wants with the frame. E.g., the app could render at 4K and then the compositor could either use the GFX engine to scale the image down to 2K for display or it could use the 4K image directly and tell the GPU use use the scaler in the display hardware to downscale it to 2K, etc.
              About VSR specifically and how it presents resolutions to the rest of the system. I was interchanging it with RSR which uses FSR (and is available in Gamescope, Wine, some games, etc). As far as I know VSR just applies SSAA dumbly to everything whenever the user picks a resolution higher than what their monitor supports (as well as has options for Radeon Image Sharpening/Contrast Adaptive Sharpening, but I don't know RIS/CAS apply to just the desktop and I'm trying to ignore them for the sake of simplicity...plus RIS/CAS are available in Reshade, a lot of games, etc).

Could just SSAA (maybe RIS/CAS???) be done in AMDGPU so KDE/GNOME, Wine, full screen games, etc see the VSR/SSAA resolution to be able to use? I suppose your next statement answers that.

You could do stuff like that in the kernel driver, but it makes more sense to do it in the compositor because it knows more about what's actually going on on the desktop. If the kernel driver were to do some special scaling or filtering, it doesn't know whether it's a game or a word processor, or what. It just gets a frame. You'd need some special API for the compositor to tell the driver when it was ok to apply these things and what to apply, and at that point, you might as well just do it in the compositor as you'd have a lot more flexibility.
              I obviously don't know how it works, but from a user's perspective that's exactly how it seems to work on Windows. You set your higher resolution in the Settings app and everything is scaled accordingly. You have to use the game's or Windows' scaling settings from there. I know this is one of those deals where Windows makes it easy by having the one compositor that has to be worked with which makes all this transparent from the user's side.

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions because I know you have better things to do. You know what they say, "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people." If you don't ask the right questions to the right people you'll maybe never know, so thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I obviously don't know how it works, but from a user's perspective that's exactly how it seems to work on Windows. You set your higher resolution in the Settings app and everything is scaled accordingly. You have to use the game's or Windows' scaling settings from there. I know this is one of those deals where Windows makes it easy by having the one compositor that has to be worked with which makes all this transparent from the user's side.
                It works on windows because windows has an explicit API for full screen 3D applications. The driver gets told when entering and exiting this state so it can do whatever it likes in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

It works on windows because windows has an explicit API for full screen 3D applications. The driver gets told when entering and exiting this state so it can do whatever it likes in that case.
                  Jesus Christ I barely had enough time to make some coffee and admire the hydrangeas I just bought

Last edited by skeevy420; 22 March 2024, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Probably, if they have a bug report
                    I still need to file one, but for reverence this is the issue:

I already talked to the qmmp devs, but I need to talk to the wayland devs.

I am on opensuse, but the link proofs its an Wayland thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post

I use the best audio player in the world everywhere (Windows, Android, ...) AIMP (Association Of Independent Music Publishers). Unfortunately, for Linux it only exists in Wine.
                      I don't know a better one.​​​
                      Skin WinAmp is native.

I've never used Foobar 2000. I can't compare. But I'm not missing anything here. It can do many things.​

https://www.aimp.ru/?do=download
                      QMMP is a native Linux app. (Linux, FreeBSD, Windows​)

Comment

Working...
                      X