No announcement yet.

Wayland Protocols 1.34 Introduces Better Drag & Drop, Explicit DRM Sync Objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Protocols 1.34 Introduces Better Drag & Drop, Explicit DRM Sync Objects

Phoronix: Wayland Protocols 1.34 Introduces Better Drag & Drop, Explicit DRM Sync Objects

Wayland Protocols 1.34 was released on Wednesday with three new staging protocols for further enhancing Wayland's capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how much performance will explicit synchronization provide if any

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
      I wonder how much performance will explicit synchronization provide if any
      I'm curious, too, but I don't think any performance increases are going to be nearly as large as the usability increases that Nvidia users are going to get from it.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR

No worries, everyone is waiting for your own display protocol alternative, we know you will oblitarate Wayland, just get on the code dude....
        No need. Xorg is flawless with zero security flaws apparently.

Comment

No worries, everyone is waiting for your own display protocol alternative, we know you will oblitarate Wayland, just get on the code dude....
          Maybe this will progress https://chiselapp.com/user/letoram/r...ry/arcan/index

Comment

At this point we would need a totally new distro which would include only a selection of best technologies invented so far:
            - 16-bit bootloader with only legacy BIOS support (e.g. strictly requires A20 gate for no apparent reason) and sound blaster drivers like in Grub 2
            - 32-bit kernel with PAE but without PCIe support (MCA, VLB, and AGP should be enough for everyone)
            - runit init service with high performance bash scripts and service sequencing using 'sleep' (experimental users can also try out launchd)
            - OSS version 1 sound system with aRts and ESD support
            - Dillo browser with Flash and Java 1.4 applet support
            - XFree86 with user mode GPU drivers running as root (Mir before it became Wayland compatible should be ok as well)
            - core utils written in pure CPL or BCPL (Algol and COBOL also considered kosher!)
            - supported file systems: FAT12, FAT16, NTFS via NTFS-3g, SWAP, and ReiserFS 4
            - all code in the state of the art bazaar version control system
            - all bugs in the proprietary launchpad service
            - all binaries should run in a snap container
            - only one supported DE: unity
            - all data stored in Ubuntu One cloud
            - contributions require signing a CLA
            - the installer will test your gender and dietary habits. Only overweight heterosexual (virgin) males who hunt their own meat and eat it raw are allowed to install the distro

Comment

Wayland requiring yet another protocol for drag and drop and it's still unreliable/doesn't work in every app (just like clipboard still doesn't, 16 YEARS into Wayland's pathetic existence)... ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen View Post
                No need. Xorg is flawless with zero security flaws apparently.
                So XFree86 is not good enough for you?!?!?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
                  Wayland requiring yet another protocol for drag and drop and it's still unreliable/doesn't work in every app (just like clipboard still doesn't, 16 YEARS into Wayland's pathetic existence)... ROFL
                  YES I know, so pathetic. With X everything magically gets support, and it is perfect. I wrote a hello world program, and by magic I suddenly could do drag and drop under X. X is so great, magic provides implementations in every application. So, great!
                  And there are no drawbacks to X, you get a much superior single DPI experience instead of the confusing multi DPI.... I want to run my screens in suboptimal resolutions!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
                    1. It's not "another protocol" for drag and drop. It's an extension to the existing protocol. There's still only 1 protocol.
                    2. Drag and drop works flawlessly on any program that I've tested it on, even between wayland and xwayland applications. When was the last time you tried Wayland, and what compositor did you use?

Comment

Working...
                    X