Niri 0.1.3 Wayland Compositor Brings Touch Support, New Animations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niri 0.1.3 Wayland Compositor Brings Touch Support, New Animations

Phoronix: Niri 0.1.3 Wayland Compositor Brings Touch Support, New Animations

Niri is an interesting scrollable tiling Wayland compositor inspired by PaperWM that has been gaining user interest in recent months. This weekend marked the v0.1.3 release of this Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The "physics-based" gestures and animation, the "spring" bounces and oscillations, are all beautifully demonstrated in the videos in the linked release notes on Github. This is really, really pretty.

Comment

Niri is oozing with potential for tablets. I've used it a bit and when it works, it works wonderfully. If they had an OSK system (for the love of god can we start making more generic OSK interfaces? wlr's layers protocol is common enough, but how can we actually trigger them is an effort in futility it feels like) Working auto rotate, and some kind of launcher, I could see it being very popular with the more DIY mobile users

Comment

Hyprland already had those xD

Where I see Niri's potential is laptop use on the go. But again I don't see how this couldn't have been implemented in Hyprland as it doesn't seem to do much more ;(

Comment

Originally posted by plantroon View Post
          Hyprland already had those xD

Where I see Niri's potential is laptop use on the go. But again I don't see how this couldn't have been implemented in Hyprland as it doesn't seem to do much more ;(
          I mean, hyprland is cool and all, but its not smithay, and therefore not nearly as cool

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Niri is oozing with potential for tablets. I've used it a bit and when it works, it works wonderfully. If they had an OSK system (for the love of god can we start making more generic OSK interfaces? wlr's layers protocol is common enough, but how can we actually trigger them is an effort in futility it feels like) Working auto rotate, and some kind of launcher, I could see it being very popular with the more DIY mobile users
            A tiling compositor on tablets??? Or do you mean drawing tablets like Wacom?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

A tiling compositor on tablets??? Or do you mean drawing tablets like Wacom?
              tablet tablet, I have a chuwi hi10x, a tablet with a detachable keyboard.

Comment

this is great! I was waiting for a tiling window manager for wayland to come out. glad with have one now.

Comment

plantroon Yep, my journey's been old WMs->hypr->sway. Hyprland is a larger topic... ahem. It's nice. But the gestures and animations, while coming from the same place, are implemented in different ways. The author says where he pinched values from (gnome libadwaita).

Re tablets: I'm liking these user interface idioms with an older 2-in-1, where it's also wonderful if your touch stuff is supported.

Comment

daemonburrito why did you end up on sway if I may ask?

Comment

Working...
                    X