No announcement yet.

LXQt Desktop Now "100%" Ready For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a dGPU, not an APU you're all referring to?
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by potens View Post

The guy from the "Linux experiment" channel just released a review of a full AMD laptop ," Tuxedo Sirius 16" (I did not watch it, yet) and I know Lenovo has some also (and they have a commitment to bring Linux on their laptop, I think)
      That's interesting but at a glance it does not seem like a good value proposition vs the framework unless I'm missing something. I feel like I'd rather have the beef of the alienware anyways as I'm planning on compiling software on it. Good to know the market is starting to cater to this segment though.

EDIT: Also while I saw levono with integrated arc (before it sold out) and iris, I could not find any amd-based linux laptops from them.
      Last edited by Noitatsidem; 12 March 2024, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Curiously, is there a simplofied log reading app that allows you to easily filter all the logs? I've never really bothered to look =D
        I haven't used any, but journalctl's options themselves are pretty nifty. One of my tile WM's workspaces is devoted to the two panes mentioned, and `atop` wide across the top.

I have to mention how funny it is to me to be having this discussion about systemd's binary log scheme. I never imagined we'd get here, being a veteran of the systemd flamewars.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          This is a dGPU, not an APU you're all referring to?
          Was this question for me? I can't remember which thread we're on, lol, but my old Dell 9575 is an odd beast, AMD and Intel only made this one design: "Kaby Lake", and I have the i7 version

Code:
          model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8705G CPU @ 3.10GHz
          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630 (rev 04)
          01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Polaris 22 XL [Radeon RX Vega M GL] (rev c0)
          To the OS, it is another gpu, with the "more integrated" graphics being Intel HD Graphics 630.

It's getting up there in years, but it's been a great machine for me using Linux. Even the Wacom digitizer works fine.
          Last edited by daemonburrito; 12 March 2024, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Plasma 5 doesn't work on my dad's PC with AMD-only hardware. Perhaps too early for Plasma 5?

I mentioned this a few times before, but people just don't want to accept that AMD is not the holy grail to make Wayland work.
            Originally posted by Rovano View Post

I'm sorry, but all major distributions work for me with both KDE5 and KDE6 with Nvidia.
            Only on that one I had to compile the DE myself.

On the contrary, I tried to get AMD from 2018(VEGA i think) to work and everything didn't go smoothly.
            In addition, if you don't know how to do it, you will find that you have 4 drivers available in different states.
            I only have 2 on Nvidia.​
            And at Intel, the driver for the new series of cards did not work properly for a year.

So why not try to troll in vain, but look at things objectively?
            Just go through the discussions and you will come across problems everywhere.

I also have an Nvidia Quadro in addition. Don't you want to buy it to experience multibit color and see it work?
            ​Surprise surprise... there's no AMD hardware here and surely I don't like Intel at all, so I don't know what I should be trolling about.

This is the first post where surely it is not me saying a nvidia setup is not working, I was just having fun that a nearly-OpenGL 2 reverse engineered GPU older than a decade with open drivers behaves better than hundred of dollars worth GPU cards with state-of-the-art closed source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

​Surprise surprise... there's no AMD hardware here and surely I don't like Intel at all, so I don't know what I should be trolling about.

This is the first post where surely it is not me saying a nvidia setup is not working, I was just having fun that a nearly-OpenGL 2 reverse engineered GPU older than a decade with open drivers behaves better than hundred of dollars worth GPU cards with state-of-the-art closed source drivers.
              OpenGl is becoming a thing of the past.

The free driver crashed for me. Or was it XWayland?
              And does it matter if the binary works for me?

Try to be specific in your problem.​ I'm having popcorn for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                OpenGl is becoming a thing of the past.
                Perhaps I was not clear enough, but opengl is far from the point of the discussion. What I said, and I repeat again, is that an ancient GPU (Mali-400), which is so old that is does not even has the full set of OpenGL 2.0 features, is capable to run Wayland KDE Plasma 5 without issues, while modern nvidia cards worth hundred of dollars with state of the art drivers have issues. This makes me laugh, but the serious point perhaps is Mali 400 has open drivers, nvidia has closed drivers.

Now I never said nvidia is bad or has issues: others did. I never cited AMD as the holy grail: others did. I don't own any of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

Perhaps I was not clear enough, but opengl is far from the point of the discussion. What I said, and I repeat again, is that an ancient GPU (Mali-400), which is so old that is does not even has the full set of OpenGL 2.0 features, is capable to run Wayland KDE Plasma 5 without issues, while modern nvidia cards worth hundred of dollars with state of the art drivers have issues. This makes me laugh, but the serious point perhaps is Mali 400 has open drivers, nvidia has closed drivers.

Now I never said nvidia is bad or has issues: others did. I never cited AMD as the holy grail: others did. I don't own any of the two.
                  So you can do various tricks.

But your longer explanation made me understand the kick to Nvidia better.
                  Well, something still doesn't work for all manufacturers. And I would bet that if there were more Matrox users, they too would flood the Internet.

I remember Matrox. Quality output.​

Comment

Working...
                  X