LXQt Desktop Now "100%" Ready For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Plasma 5 Wayland throws a black screen after entering the password in SDDM and then bounces back to SDDM. He uses openSUSE Tumbleweed, while Plasma 5 (but not Plasma 6) works fine on my AMD hardware with Tumbleweed.
    Something's just causing it to crash outright. Run
    Code:
    journalctl -xb
    from a shell after trying to run plasma. Hit the end key, then scroll up a bit looking for the error. If you don't already know, use CTRL+ALT+F3 from SDDM to get to a text console.

Comment

Originally posted by bearoso View Post
      Something's just causing it to crash outright. Run
      Code:
      journalctl -xb
      from a shell after trying to run plasma. Hit the end key, then scroll up a bit looking for the error. If you don't already know, use CTRL+ALT+F3 from SDDM to get to a text console.
      I know how to get a tty, but I didn't know I could get something useful from journalctl in a tty. Thanks, I'll try that next time I'm on his PC!

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I know how to get a tty, but I didn't know I could get something useful from journalctl in a tty. Thanks, I'll try that next time I'm on his PC!
        I love systemd journals. It's become my main interface for reading logs and just seeing the state of the system. It's replaced all dmesg and tailing stuff in /var/log. My Linux world has changed since I began devoting two windows to journalctl; `journalctl -xfe` in one, and `journalctl -kfe` in the other. It's enabled me to smooth out countless warnings and errors that would not be obvious problems, but would make using the system worse.

Check it out. As usual, the Arch wiki is great, whatever distro you're using: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd/Journal

Comment

Originally posted by daemonburrito View Post

I love systemd journals. It's become my main interface for reading logs and just seeing the state of the system. It's replaced all dmesg and tailing stuff in /var/log. My Linux world has changed since I began devoting two windows to journalctl; `journalctl -xfe` in one, and `journalctl -kfe` in the other. It's enabled me to smooth out countless warnings and errors that would not be obvious problems, but would make using the system worse.

Check it out. As usual, the Arch wiki is great, whatever distro you're using: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd/Journal
          Curiously, is there a simplofied log reading app that allows you to easily filter all the logs? I've never really bothered to look =D
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            Curiously, is there a simplofied log reading app that allows you to easily filter all the logs? I've never really bothered to look =D
            One I've come across (mostly because it can be used with remote machines) is QJournalCtl https://github.com/pentix/qjournalctl
            I am sure there are several more

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              I swear the Linux landscape is like a country where the central government has collapsed and you have a bunch of warlords that control parts of the country and each does his own thing.

It would be great if the various DE teams would just come together and work towards creating one truly great, bug free DE for Linux.
              That used to be the case in the late 90s when there was KDE on Linux and CDE on Unix. But Qt was proprietary at the time, so GNU started GNOME based on GIMP's free GTK toolkit. And shortly after, Qt was released under GPL but the damage was done - we had two competing big desktop environments (and Xfce as a light-weight alternative). Then GNOME 3 came and wanted to make an iPad-like interface that people hated, leading to the creation of MATE (GNOME 2 continuation) and Cinnamon (GNOME 3 tech but with a traditional interface).

On top of that you get distros creating their own desktop environment. Pantheon, COSMIC, Unity, Budgie, Deepin, UKUI and so on.

And I haven't even mentioned LXQt which this article is about...
              Last edited by Estranged1906; 11 March 2024, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

Perhaps too early for Plasma 6?
                By the way, Plasma 5 works fine even on Mali-400 GPU class, funny it does not work on nvidia!
                I'm sorry, but all major distributions work for me with both KDE5 and KDE6 with Nvidia.
                Only on that one I had to compile the DE myself.

On the contrary, I tried to get AMD from 2018(VEGA i think) to work and everything didn't go smoothly.
                In addition, if you don't know how to do it, you will find that you have 4 drivers available in different states.
                I only have 2 on Nvidia.​
                And at Intel, the driver for the new series of cards did not work properly for a year.

So why not try to troll in vain, but look at things objectively?
                Just go through the discussions and you will come across problems everywhere.

I also have an Nvidia Quadro in addition. Don't you want to buy it to experience multibit color and see it work?
                Last edited by Rovano; 11 March 2024, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uscracks94 View Post
                  And you missed the part that I mentioned screen sharing and blurry JetBrains IDEs, that's a pure Intel igpu notebook.
                  ​​
                  What desktop are you using? I'm sharing my screen or single windows on Wayland/Gnome for years.

As for jetbrains IDE- that's true.
                  Currently, Java GUIs are X11 only and fractional scaling support on X11 is... well, not good.

Fortunately, JetBrains seems to be working on this:
                  For Linux users of IntelliJ-based IDEs, an exciting advancement is on the horizon – the upcoming support of the Wayland display server protocol. This update is set to bring a host of benefits, includi

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    Fortunately, JetBrains seems to be working on this:
                    https://blog.jetbrains.com/platform/...yland-support/
                    It is great that JetBrains is actively contributing to this.

However it is also quite a sad revelation about Oracles's interest (or lack thereof) in Java UI.
                    Other toolkit vendors have had Wayland support for years

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

Funny how aside from framwork, every Linux hardware manufacturer including Linux exclusive ones like system76 ship their systems with Nvidia graphics.
                      I'm actually desperately trying to find a laptop that has AMD graphics and supports Linux - framework looks to be my only option. Though I hear the only thing not working on the alienware m18 on the linux side is the microphone, which I could probably live with - though I'd find no official support then.
                      The guy from the "Linux experiment" channel just released a review of a full AMD laptop ," Tuxedo Sirius 16" (I did not watch it, yet) and I know Lenovo has some also (and they have a commitment to bring Linux on their laptop, I think)

Comment

Working...
                      X