Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Squeezes In Additional GPU Enablement Code For Linux 6.9

Phoronix: AMD Squeezes In Additional GPU Enablement Code For Linux 6.9

While the Linux v6.8 kernel may debut as stable as soon as this weekend, a last-minute pull request of some new AMD graphics IP was submitted today to DRM-Next in aiming to make it for the imminent Linux 6.9 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How about enabling SR-IOV on consumer GPUs so we can use VirtualBox with that SR-IOV back-end for near native gaming performance?

Comment

GPU Passthrough is cumbersome for gaming if you want to quickly switch between Linux Desktop & Windows VM.. SR-IOV would make it seamless.

Whoever brings this technology first to modern gaming GPUs can have my wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        Intel Arc already has it?
        It works on my A380 which i use in my nas.

i wait for battlemage to evaluate it for my gaming desktop though

Comment

GPU Passthrough is cumbersome for gaming if you want to quickly switch between Linux Desktop & Windows VM.. SR-IOV would make it seamless.

What's the point? Proton works very well for linux gaming and if you want to play some competitive games with analprobe type anticheat then I've got bad news, this is not allowed by game developers.

Comment

They do, its called professional gpus and they would love your wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

Intel Arc already has it?
              It works on my A380 which i use in my nas.

i wait for battlemage to evaluate it for my gaming desktop though
              None of Intel's dGPUs can match the performance of my current setup

Intel still has some work left but I'm glad they're making progress
              Last edited by Kjell; 09 March 2024, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

They do, its called professional gpus and they would love your wallet.
                Sure but to be realistic, would it even work with QEMU+KVM? Seems like Xen is preferred in DCs where professional GPUs are used. Also, is there even one which can compete with latest gaming GPUs in terms of FPS in games?
                Last edited by Kjell; 09 March 2024, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Sure but to be realistic, would it even work with QEMU+KVM? Seems like Xen is preferred in DCs where professional GPUs are used. Also, is there even one which can compete with latest gaming GPUs in terms of FPS in games?
                  Aah, gaming gpu, which none do for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Aah, gaming gpu, which none do for obvious reasons.
                    💩💩💩💩💩

Comment

Working...
                    X