The Greenfield In-Browser Wayland Compositor Is Fast Enough For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greenfield In-Browser Wayland Compositor Is Fast Enough For Gaming

Phoronix: The Greenfield In-Browser Wayland Compositor Is Fast Enough For Gaming

While there are a lot of Wayland compositors out there that aren't too different from each other in terms of features, one of the more unique ones is Greenfield. The Greenfield Wayland compositor has been out there for a few years now as an in-browser HTML5-based solution that is continuing to prove itself capable and even fast enough for handling Linux gaming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just yesterday I was thinking it would be cool little experiment if someone tried this. Didn't expect it to have already existed.

Comment

Looking forward to the peanut gallery dictators who want to make it illegal to write more than one compositor to chime in

Comment

Last time I tested this it was actually kinda a pain to setup and usability wasnt great, will try it again when I can

Comment

Seems like they employ some non-standard optimization that really pays off for networked applications, but probably it would also help on local use. Interesting for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
            Looking forward to the peanut gallery dictators who want to make it illegal to write more than one compositor to chime in
            Usually the people arguing for that are doing so because they believe it is better for everything to be done in one place to reduce duplication of effort, so I must ask, can Xorg Server be ran in a web browser?

Ironically, if you wanted to do that (without VNC or RDP, etc) then an in-browser Wayland compositor like Greenfield that can also run X11 applications might be the unlikely answer. Apparently Xpra has a HTML5 client but I have no idea how well it works.

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post
              Usually the people arguing for that are doing so because they believe it is better for everything to be done in one place to reduce duplication of effort, so I must ask, can Xorg Server be ran in a web browser?
              Apples to oranges. You're conflating the spec with the implementation. X11 is the specification/version. X.org's Server is the implementation. Yes it's likely just as possible to run an X11 windowing system server/client setup via web browser. But just because you can, doesn't mean someone should. This is where we as technologists completely fall on our faces and end up with stinking mud everywhere when someone points out how stupendously bad an idea it is and was... like the stinking pile of security bugs and privacy invasion that is the modern web aided and abetted by all modern webbrowsers bar none.

Comment

"wayland doesn't have a network protocol, unlike beloved X11"

Comment

This actually includes XWayland support

Software experiments on Browser JavaScript HTML5 TypeScript Wayland and building a new type of OS.

Comment

I remember reading about Greenfield quite a while ago, for sure forgot about it. Seems pretty cool, will be interesting to see what comes out of all of it. Speaking of interesting, FOSDEM seems like a great conference. I pulled up the schedule (that of course already happened.) I am going to have fun with my morning coffee tomorrow!

Yep, I would have read about this here, looks like back in 2017 and 2019:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Last edited by ehansin; 06 February 2024, 08:03 PM. Reason: Added links.

Comment

Working...
                    X