Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Protocols 1.33 Released With DMA-BUF Stable, Adds Transient Seat Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Protocols 1.33 Released With DMA-BUF Stable, Adds Transient Seat Protocol

Phoronix: Wayland Protocols 1.33 Released With DMA-BUF Stable, Adds Transient Seat Protocol

Wayland Protocols 1.33 was released today by Daniel Stone for this de facto collection of Wayland protocols for implementing by the various Wayland compositors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a little sad seeing Enlightenment being dropped for inactivity, since they were one of the very first compositors to support Wayland natively. Then again, I've not heard much about Enlightenment at all in years.

Comment

When one of the numerous implementations of Wayland "just works" with Arch XFCE, and I don't have to sacrifice any functionality or software to use it, I'll give it a try. Until then I'm happy with X, as it works just fine.

Comment

You realise the onus is on XFCE to "just work" with Wayland?

Comment

Transient Seat Protocol.

Great. Standardization around anti-homeless seating. Like all the haters need another reason to dislike Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Transient Seat Protocol.

Great. Standardization around anti-homeless seating. Like all the haters need another reason to dislike Wayland

Wayland is the reason I'm homeless

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
              You realise the onus is on XFCE to "just work" with Wayland?
              Actually Wayland was supposed to be a drop in replacement for X with XWayland bridging the gap. But instead everything has to be rewritten for whatever iteration of it is being used.

But that's fine, so long as there's X until some version of it becomes standard, and XWayland actually does bridge any gaps, I'm happy.

Comment

transient seat support is nice. it's always good to see more and more features in wayland,

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Actually Wayland was supposed to be a drop in replacement for X with XWayland bridging the gap. But instead everything has to be rewritten for whatever iteration of it is being used.

But that's fine, so long as there's X until some version of it becomes standard, and XWayland actually does bridge any gaps, I'm happy.
                  Whoever said that Wayland was supposed to be a drop in replacement? No one. XWayland is a compatibility layer for legacy applications, it was never designed to run desktop environments and window managers.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Whoever said that Wayland was supposed to be a drop in replacement? No one. XWayland is a compatibility layer for legacy applications, it was never designed to run desktop environments and window managers.
                    it should have been done this way.

Comment

Working...
                    X